How much damage would a 1,10,100 petaton bomb do?

and also how much damage would 1,10,100 exaton bomb do to the earth :)

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Read this from another answer

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

You're talking about TNT equivalence, right? Usually, when people refer to a megaton bomb, they're talking about a bomb that gives off as much energy as a megaton of TNT.

I'm going to reference another Answer. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?… Scroll down to nick s's response. He says a megaton of TNT is an energy of 4*10^15 J. He also says that the energy the sun puts off every second is 3.6*10^26 J.

So, an exaton of TNT is an energy of 4*10^15 * (10^18/10^6) = 4*10^15 * (10^12) = 4*10^27 J, which is more energy than the sun puts off in TEN seconds. Not just what's received by the Earth, but all of it. Like, a HUGE amount.

A yottaton of TNT is an energy of 4*10^15 * (10^24/10^6) = 4*10^33 J. That's almost FOUR MONTHS of the sun's energy.

So. A lot of damage. There'd be nothing left of the entire Earth. Luckily, I'm not worried that you have a 1 yottaton bomb, because that would require converting 4.5*10^10 kg of matter completely to energy. :-)

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=200905...

Chetak

• 7 years ago

Considering the biggest bomb fired off was about 50 megatons and the biggest actually designed was 100 megatons, your question is just silly. You are talking about weapons that are far beyond anything considered.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Petaton

• 7 years ago

Made-up, nonexistent numbers in a pointless, uneducated question.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

They would destroy the solar system DR Evil.

• 7 years ago

A lot.

Source(s): Dumb questions get dumb answers. I don't think anyone has even done any modeling on it, so how could you expect us to know?
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.