are there lots of extensive/vast forests in the US which no one has touched?

I'm just doing a research about nature in different countries.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Ted
    Lv 6
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

There are extensive/vast forests in the western U.S. and Alaska. Most of the world including the forests in the U.S. have been explored and habitated for many years. There are places where no one has been for a while or is little used, but most of all land on the earth has been inhabited for many years. Even the Arctic and Antarctic are somewhat habitable and have small populations that are permanent. You should check the world population density maps. This will tell you where the least habitable places to live on the earth are. Siberia in Russia is one area that has little population because of extreme temperature variances. These are mostly extremely cold locations most or all of the year. You should also check forestation maps for coniferous forests. most of the U.S. is farm ground in the center of the country, mountains toward California have most of the coniferous forests. these start at the Rocky mountains. The side towards New York has a small mountain chain that has mixed hard wood and coniferous forests. These run the length of the U.S. from Maine to Florida. The mountain states include Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, Colorado, New Mexico and all of Alaska. Check the area of these to see how vast they are. You can check the area of any state by square mileage or KM. Alaska's area is far larger than many of the "lower 48" states put together. If you are doing research about nature, shouldn't you be exploring flora and fauna and the life that inhabits it? Some ecosystems are very specific as to the life that inhabits it. Check rainfall amounts globally. Lifeforms are very specific as to the conditions they are subjected to. Most have evolved into very specific environments Each states fish and game departments will have all the data you could want on mammal and fish species and the USGS(united states geological survey) will have all the geological and geophysical info, places like Cornell university has info on avian data. You can look up anything if you truly try. Look up Medicine lodge state park's petroglyphs in Wyoming and you will see some historical data. You have chosen a very large sub-set of things that you will have to look through. I really hope you find something in all this that you can get a better idea of what you need.

• Milly
    Lv 4
    7 years ago

It depends on what you mean by "vast" and "extensive": These are very subjective terms. Over 90% of the forests in the U.S. that stood before Europeans arrived have been cut down so make what you will of that.

• In the far western part of Michigan's Upper Peninsula, in the Porcupine Mountains State Park, are some trees which have never been cut down. At least, that's what the Department of Natural Resources claims.

• 7 years ago

Interesting question. When you are in Europe, pretty much everywhere you set foot feels like someone has been there before. I have been to places in the Appalacian mountains that don't have that same vibe. There are old growth forests near where I live that I suspect have places no one has ever stood. I suppose it depends on your definition of what "no one has touched" means.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

Alaska has lots of vast untamed wilderness. Seaplane tours fly over it often giving tours and bears lurk there eating salmon from streams.

Kansas, north dakota, south dakota ,Montana, wyoming, other states like that have lots of wilderness

For living i prefer big cities with parkland for forests such as london, edinburgh , Boston, New York or Philadelphia and lots of history

• 7 years ago

only in the most remote parts of Alaska

Source(s): ..
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.