What is the best Medicare supplement plan?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Zarnev
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

There is no one best plan for everyone. In fact, I've got married clients on different plans because of their specific requirements.

All Medicare Supplements are exactly the same from company to company. Plans come in different flavors; Plan A, B, C, D, F, F+, G, K, L, M, and N.

The most comprehensive plan is Plan F but it is also the most expensive. The next most comprehensive plan is Plan G. If you need to save premium dollars Plan N or a high deductible Plan F is an option.

Other options would be a Medicare Advantage plan. Again, there is no one best plan or best company. There are a number of different types: HMO, HMO/POS, PPO, PFFS, SNP, MSA, Dual, Cost, and PACE plans. Plans are county and even zip code specific so you need to get a plan available at your location, and all plans won't be available in all areas or from all companies.

You'll also need drug coverage or face a penalty in the future. Many Medicare Advantage plans have drug coverage included but none of the Medicare Supplements do. There are a number of different plans and these plans are state specific.

Speak with an agent that works with all types and all of the major companies. The agent can find the best plan for your situation and budget. There is no charge using an agent.

Source(s): Independent Ägent, Certified Senior Advisor®
  • docann
    Lv 4
    7 years ago

It depends on your individual needs. From what information I've gathered, any supplement with an "F" level to it will help with medical costs. You will also need to buy a Part D for prescriptions. I've been told that Medicare Advantage Plans are going to go by the wayside (eventually). If you don't have much money, look at HMO's. You don't get to choose your dr. with those. It's a quandry to know what to do when Obamacare starts.

• 7 years ago

Mutual of Omaha offers the best Medicare Supplement policies and is one of the leading insurance companies in America. The med sup plan F covers the most when it comes to medical and hospital bills.

• 7 years ago

Here's a foot note. Don't listen to all the anti-Obama crap going around about changes in Medicare. It is the ones who are not on Medicare/Medicaid that Obamacare is trying to deal with. Zarnev has the best answer.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

That depends on your needs. We use Standard Life for everything but meds. For meds we us Silver Script. We are happy with both companies. However we have been notified that the premium will take a major increase when Obamacare goes into force. If the premium doubles we may have to go without insurance. We can't afford to finance the health care for the illegals who are flooding the country.

• Lynn
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

It doesn't matter which is the best, since most couldn't afford it and most couldn't get it. I'm sure there is one "best," but not all insurance companies sell in all locations, so you're still stuck finding out which is best for you and you can get.

I live in Philly. There are dozens of more choices outside city limits, however, it doesn't matter, because they won't sell it for me.

Sorry, but if you want to figure out which is best for you, you have to do your own research. If you need help, try asking yur local Senior Citizen's Center. They often have people who will help.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.