Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 6 years ago

What is your opinion of the Confederate Flag?

I'm a "northerner" (well.. enough north that you don't see rebel flags for many miles). I was just wondering; do you feel the Confederate Flag is offensive, or a sign of southern pride? Of course the south stood for slavery, but I've heard some people (especially southerners) claim its a southern heritage thing.

What's your take? If you want maybe include where you from, background or why you have that opinion.

(No right or wrong answer. I'm just curious about others' opinions. I have my own but won't choose a best answer)

If you aren't from the United States you're obviously still welcome to answer

• Cody

To me the Confederate flag represents a people who struggled against overwhelming odds for what they believed, and that doesn't necessarily mean nothing more than slavery. As anyone with some education knows, the Civil War was *mostly* over states rights and tariffs on Southern goods.

Source(s): Yankee

Saying it is racist makes as much sense as saying the US flag stands for oppression and everything else this country ever did wrong, such as killing off the Native Americans. A flag stands for whatever YOU want it to stand for. To me, the US flag represents the ideal of what this country SHOULD be, and not what it actually has been. It also represents all those who have died serving under it.

The confederate flag, to me, is southern pride, ...The south is more than racism. It is a culture of family and community, gentlemen and ladies, manners, respect for elders, and lots more.

I'm a military brat. Born in Massachusetts, raised in Louisiana, living in Texas. And officially classified as Caucasian.

• Tony

I live in Houston Texas, I see confederate flags every now and then. It's just a symbol of southern pride for most people. Sometimes people tend to take it the wrong way though.

I have a friend who has a confederate flag and he's dated girls who aren't white.

Eh; it's just one of the "incredibly numerous" images that have been reappropriated and now means something completely different.

I mean, Anonymous wears Guy Fawkes masks, does that mean they support his cause? ie, replacing the King of England with a Catholic?

Going in the opposite direction, the swastika existed for "millenia" before the Nazis made it bad.

Satanists and whoever else have the upside-down cross, which is actually St. Peter's Cross and has been on the Pope's chair for 2000 years.

And they sell t-shirts and posters with "Che Guevara" on them. You know, anti-capitalist who also flat-out murdered somebody?

Edit: The guy from California made me remember something interesting about the Flag of California; it basically represents an American illegally entering Mexico and goading white people into rebelling from their Mexican rulers. It would be like if somebody went into Vancouver, Canada, gathered a handful of nuts with guns and took over the mayor's office, and then the US used that as an excuse to declare war on Canada in order to annex all of British Columbia.

Did you know the flag of Hawaii has the (British) Union Jack in the upper left corner? And the flag of Maryland is the heraldic banner of Lord Baltimore.

If you look hard enough, you'll find a sizable list of flags with origins that aren't related to what they're used for now.

The Confederate flag stands for southern pride - nothing more. I was born and raised in the south.

That rag stands for slavery, treason, civil war, domestic terrorism, and Jim Crow. Anyone who chooses to call that a heritage, isn't worthy of having a real one.

I'm wary of it just because it has a stigma attached to it AND... I've experienced racism from even other minorities (I'm Asian).

I actually think the "politically correct" people can be more offensive at times, because they always assume EVERYTHING you do and think is different AND that they know what it is.

When I visit rural areas if someone just treats me like they would anyone else... I like that more.

Proud

Very offensive because of what it stands for. Righties claim it stands for states' rights. That's BS. It stands for a tradition of racism and slavery, and anyone who flies that rag is a traitor in my opinion.

I'm from California.

It is southern herritage