BigBill asked in SportsMartial Arts · 7 years ago

Should Kodokan Judo be taken out of the Olympics?

I personally think it would be in Judo's best interest if it were removed from the Olympics.

Gentlemen, There is only one type of Judo, and that's Kodokan Judo. The IOC does not have its own style of Judo, it has only mangled Judo to Olympic sport standards. AND the martial arts are not sports, that is forcing a square peg into a round hole. I personally feel it is in the best interests of Kodokan Judo to get it out of the Olympics.

Favorite Answer

I'm wondering if the damage is already done. In the 1960's when I began my martial arts training my first instructor practiced Karate, a style of Kung-Fu and Judo. He always said he loved the Judo the most. He taught us a little of all three styles. He favored the Judo and often talked about it. His Judo was not like the sport Judo practiced in the majority of dojo. His Judo had lots of sneaky strikes, low kicks, and hidden knuckles while choking someone. I've had the impression that so many Judo dojo have been doing only the techniques allowed in competition that I'm not sure Judo would ever return to what it was before the sport and Olympics.

Taekwondo is similar. Although Taekwondo styles have had much watering down by McDojang, It being in the Olympics only made it worse. It is good to know that there are a few diehard TKD instructors out there that teach TKD as it was before being commercialized and made an Olympic sport.

...

Source(s): Martial arts training and research over 46 years, since 1967 Teaching martial arts over 39 years

I don't think so, but it would be REALLY AWESOME if they reverted to rules allowing full groundwork, or opened up generalized submission grappling. Not only do I think it would attract more people, it would allow for a variety of up and comers to show their skills from Judo, catch wrestling, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Sambo, and more. I get the whole brutality of technical submissions, but they could still have the event with some limitations on that ability. I would watch Olympic Judo more often if that were case.

I also echo was pugpaws said about Tae Kwon Do. The problem with both styles in the Olympics is the watering down that has taken place, not that they are present.

Personally, I don't think so. I had the opportunity to partake in a tournament in Japan and, while there, I traveled to the Kodokan and practiced with the judokas there. The only difference is the amount of respect that they have for the sport. We have football teams in America. Likewise, Japanese high schools have judo teams. It's all a matter of perspective. If you're taught the traditions in your dojo, then you follow those wherever you go. The problem is that people no longer follow the traditional rules and nuances and that is where the gap lies. Keep judo in the Olympics. It's fun to watch.

Source(s): Been practicing judo for 17 years (nidan)

Judo is in the Olympics. However, Kodokan Judo is not part of the Olympics. Only a portion of what is taught in Kodokan Judo is used in the Olympics.

Edit:

Training that is done in the Kodokan is much different than that that takes place is organization that are not part of the Kodokan and that prepare to compete under Olympic rules.

Source(s): Martial Arts since 1982

Judo became a global sport because of the Olympics. That a few western martial arts buffs find fault with judo precisely because it is a global sport, is like saying the World Cup is bad for soccer.

No one wants to get out of the Olympics. The Olympics are the greatest athletic event on the planet...Being in the Olympics doesn't forbids anyone to learn and train in any aspects of Judo that are not involved in the Olympics, what it does....it promotes Judo all over the world.:)

I agree with pugpaws. I think the damage has already been done. It's always a lot easier to just leave things out. Once they are left out they usually get lost or at best parts of the technique which make the techniques easier, the really small details, get lost. It takes a great deal of training and serious studying to find those details again and put them back. That process is much longer.

Umm, no. Why would it be Judo's best interest to get out of the Olympics...that's their superbowl....

Only if it is replaced by Wushu or Kyokushin.