Scared I might be getting TSS?! help!!?

I'm 17 and yesterday I left a tampon in for 8.5 hours and now I'm really scared I'm going to get tss. I have a stomach ache today and I think it might be from my period though, also I keep getting a few slight chills which might be unrelated. I don't have a fever I don't think, and my lower back hurts. I don't know if this means I'm catching it? but I'm so scared!

• Kasha
    Favorite Answer

It's highly unlikely.

It's a myth that TSS only occurs from leaving tampons too long, the fact is that most cases occur within the first few hours use - if the bacterial toxins responsible are present and you lack immunity then they don't sit round waiting until X number of hours to take effect.

Initial symptoms of TSS include;

- Sudden high fever (38°C/100.4°F).

- Low blood pressure.

- Nausea and/or vomiting.

- Sunburn-like skin rash.

- Diarrhoea or constipation.

- Fainting or feeling faint.

- Dizziness and confusion

- Muscle aches.

Symptoms can vary greatly from person to person and depending on which organs are effected, but with all cases you'd have high fever and low blood pressure - you'd feel very ill, like having a bad case of flu. If you don't have a fever TSS is unlikely, certainly back pain isn't a common TSS symptom but is very common with menstrual cramps - tampons commonly increase menstrual cramps.

If you're going to use tampons instead of safer options like pads, menstrual cups, softcups, sponges, etc. then you need to learn the risks of tampon use; TSS, increased cramps and flow, vaginal infections, and dioxin, which includes learning the symptoms of TSS. The web site You ARE Loved is a great resource and also includes real-life stories to give you an idea of what happens when you contract TSS - http://www.you-are-loved.org

When using tampons follow precautions to reduce risks:

- Change tampons every 4-6 hours.

- Always use lowest absorbency.

- Change absorbency as flow changes.

- Alternate with pads whenever possible.

- Avoid rayon tampons e.g. Tampax, Playtex, Kotex.

- Do not use when not menstruating.

- Do not use with light flow.

- Do not use overnight while sleeping.

- Do not use if you have a vaginal infection.

- Always wash hands before use.

- Store tampons in cool dry place.

- Learn about TSS and other risks like dioxin.

- Consider safer options like menstrual cups.

First calm down, everything is ok. most tampons can be left in for an extended time (not recomended) because you are worried it will also make you feel worse. stomach cramps and lowerback pain are normal in a period.

If you notice a major rash anywhere on your body, and you start throwing up and have diarrhea, then see a doctor.

i do get diarrhea around my period though from the changes to my body.