Could I have toxic shock syndrome!!?

hi I'm 17 and today I left my tampon in for like 8 and a half hours. I couldn't get to a bathroom sooner and rushed to the first one I could find. now my lower back hurts and I'm paranoid I would have TSS? do I?

• Kasha
    Favorite Answer

It's highly unlikely.

It's a myth that TSS only occurs from leaving tampons too long, the fact is that most cases occur within the first few hours use - if the bacterial toxins responsible are present and you lack immunity then they don't sit round waiting until X number of hours to take effect.

Initial symptoms of TSS include;

- Sudden high fever (38°C/100.4°F).

- Low blood pressure.

- Nausea and/or vomiting.

- Sunburn-like skin rash.

- Diarrhoea or constipation.

- Fainting or feeling faint.

- Dizziness and confusion

- Muscle aches.

Symptoms can vary greatly from person to person and depending on which organs are effected, but with all cases you'd have high fever and low blood pressure - you'd feel very ill, like having a bad case of flu. If you don't have a fever TSS is unlikely, certainly back pain isn't a common TSS symptom but is very common with menstrual cramps - tampons commonly increase menstrual cramps.

If you're going to use tampons instead of safer options like pads, menstrual cups, softcups, sponges, etc. then you need to learn the risks of tampon use; TSS, increased cramps and flow, vaginal infections, and dioxin, which includes learning the symptoms of TSS. The web site You ARE Loved is a great resource and also includes real-life stories to give you an idea of what happens when you contract TSS - http://www.you-are-loved.org

When using tampons follow precautions to reduce risks:

- Change tampons every 4-6 hours.

- Always use lowest absorbency.

- Change absorbency as flow changes.

- Alternate with pads whenever possible.

- Avoid rayon tampons e.g. Tampax, Playtex, Kotex.

- Do not use when not menstruating.

- Do not use with light flow.

- Do not use overnight while sleeping.

- Do not use if you have a vaginal infection.

- Always wash hands before use.

- Store tampons in cool dry place.

- Learn about TSS and other risks like dioxin.

- Consider safer options like menstrual cups.

i would consider some research about it first. nad the back pain could just be from ur period. Is this the FIRST time u ever done thing? cause if it is then i wouldn't worry as much but if this was like the tenth time then....idk...

here are some symptions

Symptoms of TSS occur suddenly. Because it's an illness that is caused by a toxin, many of the body's organ systems are affected.

The signs and symptoms of TSS include:

high fever (greater than 102° F [38.8° C])

rapid drop in blood pressure (with lightheadedness or fainting)

sunburn-like rash that can be anywhere on the body, including the palms of the hands and soles of the feet

vomiting or diarrhea

severe muscle aches or weakness

bright red coloring of the eyes, mouth, throat, and vagina

headache, confusion, disorientation, or seizures

kidney and other organ failure

The average time before symptoms appear for TSS is 2 to 3 days after an infection with Staphylococcus or Streptococcus, although this can vary depending on the infection.

Usually the symptoms to that are way more severe than a back pain. More like vomiting, etc.

8.5 hours for a tampon is A LOT of time but you should read this and I'm sure it will clarify:

http://women.webmd.com/understanding-toxic-shock-s...

TSS puts you in the hospital and you fight for your life. Too long, but not the killer TSS is.