Can you upgrade a 2013 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner to a TRD package?

My parents surprised me with a 2013 Tacoma Prerunner Doublecab for getting a scholarship, and I was wondering if I could upgrade it to the TRD package now that it has been purchased. It has the prerunner and sr5 package, but I would like to upgrade it to the TRD package if possible. Can I do it?

I'm really wanting to do the whole package. I am not extremely knowledgeable about working on cars other than changing the oil and stuff like that, but was curious as to whether or not it could be done.

• Eric P
    Favorite Answer

Which parts of the TRD package are you most interested in? The most noteworthy component in the TRD off-road package is the electrically-actuated rear differential locker. This is a possible add-on from a donor axle equipped with the locker. You can also add a differential locker from a different manufacturer, such as ARB, Powertrax or Eaton. A set of Bilstein shock absorbers are not too difficult to add (easier in the back than the front). The wheels and tires can be swapped from a TRD Tacoma. Check your local Craigslist. If it's the TRD bedside stickers you're interested in, you can buy them online and stick them on...likely, no one will be the wiser.

***It can be done. Whether or not it would be worth it is another story. Each TRD package includes a bunch of stuff. It'd likely be easier to swap trucks if you really need all of it.

The TRD Sport package includes: TRD Sport Extra Value Package (Savings of up to $400)includes sport suspension with Bilstein® shocks, 17-in. alloy wheels with P265/65R17 tires, hood scoop, color-keyed grille surround/bumpers/power outside mirrors with turn signal indicators/door handles/overfenders, sliding rear window with privacy glass, 115V/400W deck-mounted AC power outlet, fog lights, remote keyless entry, cruise control, variable intermittent windshield wipers, overhead console with maplights and sunglasses storage, Sport water-resistant seats with driver lumbar support (passenger-side fold-flat feature delete), metallic-toned instrument panel trim, leather-trimmed steering wheel with audio controls and shifter, dual sun visors with mirrors and extenders, tailgate-handle integrated backup camera 6 linked to an auto-dimming mirror with monitor and outside temperature gauge, TRD Sport graphics.

The TRD Off-road package includes: TRD Off-Road Extra Value Package (Savings of up to $395)includes off-road-tuned suspension with Bilstein® shocks, electronically controlled locking rear differential, 16-in. alloy wheels with P265/70R16 BFGoodrich® tires, engine skid plate, front tow hook, 115V/400W deck powerpoint, fog lights, power outside mirrors, remote keyless entry system, cruise control, variable-speed wipers, chrome grille surround and rear bumper, color-keyed front bumper and overfenders, sliding rear window with privacy glass, Sport water-resistant seats with driver lumbar support (passenger-side fold-flat feature delete), metallic-toned instrument panel trim, leather-trimmed steering wheel with audio controls, leather-trimmed shifter, dual sun visors with mirrors and extenders, tailgate-handle integrated backup camera 6 linked to auto-dimming mirror with monitor and outside temperature gauge, TRD Off-Road graphics

Source(s): http://www.toyota.com/configurator/#!/series/tacom... Cab/drive/4x2 PreRunner/bed/Standard Bed/trim/116458005

2013 Tacoma Trd