Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 6 years ago

Bringing a stray cat inside?

We've been feeding a stray cat for the past nine months and he's the sweetest thing ever! He spends his days in our garden and his nights sleeping in one of the chairs outside but now its getting colder and he's decided to sleep on top of the guineas because we cover their hutch with a thick blanket at night.

Tonight it seems colder than it has been and i was wondering how to bring him inside for the night? He would have to be shut in my brothers room because we have 4 house cats and for obvious reasons we don't want them to mix with him yet.

Favorite Answer

I feel where you are coming from on this one, it is cold tonight and if I were in your shoes I would be thinking the same.

Thinking about it sensibly though, you have 4 other cats in the house, this could upset the balance and cause distress to the newbie or your existing cats meaning destruction and spraying. Also, there is the thought of diseases and parasites that could harm you or your other cats so if I were you I would book a trip to the vets with the little chap, get him checked out and then introduce him properly.

I wouldn't risk it he could have fleas or something which are a bit of a pain to get rid of and will bite your other cats too! If he's a stray he'll be use to the weather :( You could always put a box or something outside that way he would have to sleep on the floor and would get a bit of shelter. You could always take him to the vets to get tested for fleas or other parasites.

I've taken in plenty of strays they've always been the most loving cats!

I would definitely bring him in, but I would check and see if he has fleas. If he does, try getting some flea shampoo for the cat and then he is free to go in. Or, let the cat get along with the others and then you can let the cat thrive in.

tough one! i know how you feel, but if you have house cats already, i wouldnt risk it, they could get into a fight or something...