Army EOD advanced schools?

I am planning on enlisting as an 89d, or EOD tech in the Army. I understand EOD school is a challenge as is, but I was wondering if there are any other advanced schools techs can attend later in their career (such as Sapper, Ranger, Airborne, COmbat Diver, any advanced ordnance stuff, etc.) I'm just wondering what other opportunities there are, thank you.

2 Answers

  • EODbot
    Lv 6
    6 years ago
    Best Answer

    We can get slots to go to Airborne, Sapper, Ranger, Pathfinder, Air Assault, SERE, breachers school and many others. There are also dozens of EOD specific schools that we can attend like FBI Post Blast, ATF HME, Advanced IED Defeat, Joint EOD Improvised Nuclear Device / Radiological Dispersal Device Recognition, Joint Nuclear Explosive Ordnance Disposal, Nuclear Emergency Team Operations / Orientation, numerous HME schools, Tactical Post Blast Investigation, and many others.

    You cannot go to combat diver unless you are in an SF dive unit.

    @MAJ Kev

    Your kind of splitting hairs a bit with the whole "Tech" thing. While the Army does list my job as an EOD Specialist, within the EOD community, Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines who have graduated from NAVSCOLEOD are known as EOD Technicians. EOD is one of the few jobs that all of the members are considered technical experts. In fact, our proponency has looked at adding a Warrant program for Army EOD but they have assessed that there would be nothing to gain from it. EOD Warrants would have no extra knowledge or capabilities that the enlisted do not already possess.

    Even with sequestration our training funds have not been very limited and we have been sending Techs to these courses the entire time we have been in sequestration.

  • 6 years ago

    EODBot lists some great advanced training courses. However, none of the courses you list above are 'advanced', with the exception of whatever further Ordanance training you want to attend.

    You are not going to be a "Tech" for anything - that is what Warrant Officers are called. You will be a Explosive Ordnance Disposal Specialist.

    You can request just about any course you want and qualify for. However, you will only be going if your Commander is willing to expend limited training funds on you.

    Source(s): 25 years Regular Army; 4 years USAR / ARNG
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.