Lee asked in PetsDogs · 7 years ago

Why is my dog's head swaying?

She's behaving normal otherwise. She's walking & running fine, eating and drinking water, but when she lays down, her head sways from side to side. She's never done this before tonight. Does anyone know what this could be?

She did dig a salad out of the trash earlier today and it's possible she may have eaten small amounts of avocado, but I'm not sure this would cause her head to sway.

• H
    Favorite Answer

Avocado is poisonous to dogs. A small amount shouldn't be too bad. Avocado causes liquid to surround the heart and can cause a lot of breathing problems. I don't think that this would cause your dogs head to sway. I would call your vet in the morning and see what he says. She may be fine by morning but anytime a dog changes it behavior suddenly, it usually means that something is wrong. I think there may be a problem but it may not be Avocado related.

Source(s): Long time dog owner
  • It sounds like vestibular disease which can be caused my many different things. Another symptom is the eyes will move back and forth quickly which is called nystagmus. Almost like what happens when a typewriter gets to the end of its line. Take the dog to the vet as soon as you can.

It is a health alert symptom, get to a vet tonight or first thing tomorrow. I'm thinking so sort of ear issue.