Laws about fixing cars in your driveway in California?

My dad is a mechanic. He fixes cars in our driveway and in our backyard. We also have a neighbor who is a huge **** and she's called the city and complained to them about my dad fixing the cars at our home. I just need to know if there are any laws in California that prohibit repairing cars in your own driveway. He doesn't even charge them. They voluntarily give him compensation. Could there even be county laws? I live in a little town named Riverbank in the Stanislaus County of California. The only laws I know about cars are the Lemon Laws, which state laws on purchasing a car. If someone could do a little research for me, that would be great. I don't even know where to begin looking.

• John S
    Favorite Answer

It is unlawful to engage in a "home occupation" of automobile repair at a residence in the City of Riverbank. (Municipal Code section 153.267.) (I think most people would complain about that kind of activity in a residential area.)

Source(s): 35+ years as a criminal defense attorney
  • justa

There may be local laws, not on a state level, but your local municipality, call the building codes inspector and ask. Scoot around the source below and there is a phone number you can call.

If they believe he's operating a shop then yes they can tell him to stop. This wouldn't fall under car laws - look under business law. He is in a residential area and operating a business. Doesn't matter if he rec's voluntary compensation or not - it's still a business.

It would likely fall under your local zoning laws. That's where you want to start looking.

Check the laws of your municipality. Your post is an obvious hoax, and it has been reported.