Should I inform my landlord before I get a cat?

Actually I am thinking of getting two cats from a shelter. I have been living in the same house for two years, and my relationship with the landlord is good. So should I ask him before I get cats? If I don't inform him and start feeding them in my house, what are the possible consequences?

There is nothing about pets in the lease. Besides, it's an apartment with 48 houses and there are several pets, hence it's not a "no pets" building.

Okay but let's answer this: why are some landlords against having pets? Especially a small one like a cat?

• !
    Favorite Answer

You don't just need to inform him: you need to see if he is willing to let you keep cats. Most landlords don't permit pets.

Breach your lease and you could be out.

• dog ma

Should you INFORM your landlord? It is NOT your property, and you don't have any say in the matter. You need written permission to have any pets, way before you bring them home. If there is nothing about pets in the lease, then you need to make absolutely sure, in writing, that this is OK with the landlord. Don't just bring them home and try to hide it.

Why are some landlords against pets? I actually allow dogs in my single family rentals, just not in the apartments, but even in those, my leases specifically say NO CATS. A cat that urinates in the house can cause tens of thousands of dollars worth of damage - the smell can be so bad that the sub-floor has to be replaced. You can be sued for damages and have your credit ruined over a cat. Don't do it unless you have full written permission from your landlord for these specific animals.

Source(s): Real estate broker, landlord

If your lease does not refer to a pet deposit, it is probably because you are not allowed to have pets. You always have to get permission from the landlord. You dont tell him after you get the cats, you ASK him for permission before you get them.

It does not matter if other tenants have pets. They might have been there a long time and landlord didnt mind pets but now he may not. You have to ask him if YOU can have them. Some landlords dont like cat urine smell, feces smell, full litter boxes, cats screaming outside at night, meowing all the time. He may be allergic to cats. If these are outdoor cats, they might prowl around and beg for food. All kinds of reasons to not like cats. Then when you leave, he has to charge you more to clean the carpets. He may not want to go through the hassle.

You are obligated to ask him. If he says no cats, then no cats. The lease being silent means you CANNOT get them without permission.

Because pets cause damage, sometimes expensive (clawing and scratching wood, peeing and ruingin carpet, dander and hair that new tenants can be allergic to), and often this can mean an excess above the security deposit, which costs the LL time and money to go to court to try and collect the excess.

No harm in asking. My landlord said no pets at first. Then, a kitten took residence on my back porch. I asked her If I may bring it in and maybe adopt it, if I couldnt find the owner. She agreed and I now have my cat living here with me. The worst thing they could say is No.

obviously pets are allowed but your landlord may require a pet deposit for you to have a pet so talk to them first... the worst you can find out is you can't have them or you have to pay a deposit, if a deposit is required and you bring them in without informing the landlord then the worst can happen is you get evicted.

• Lisa M7 years agoReport

That's a pretty big 'worst' that can happen. That's not a light scenario to portray.

I got a cat without telling a landlord once. I almost got kicked out. Had to give it away.

• R P

What does your lease say about pets?

Regardless, you need to have your LL's permission *+ before* bringing home any pets.Be prepared to pay additional pet fees and / or deposits.

Source(s): FL landlord

That depends on what it says in your lease about pets. Read it.

Inform your landlord.