Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 7 years ago

McGowan VS Maryland. Please help what was the argument Maryland gave?

I have to do a power point on this and I was just wondering if someone could explain the arguments a little simpler. Thank You!

• Gerry
    Favorite Answer

It was rather a slam dunk from where I sit today in 2013 ~ it may not have felt that way at the time of the arguments.

Consider: The petitioners used the religious freedom argument but alleged only economic harm rather than an infringement on their own religious beliefs. Because they did not mention their own religious beliefs they did not have standing to make a religious liberty argument.

Hence: To have ruled on the Establishment argument, the Court had to determine whether these laws that were instituted for religious reasons retain their religious character. There is an evolution of the Sunday Closing Laws in the United States that dates back before the American Revolution while the 13 Colonies were ruled by the British Empire. By 1961 it was important to recognize the secular reasons for closings as well as for religious reasons. Again, the petitioners claimed "religious freedom" and yet failed to prove they had received an infringement upon their personal religious beliefs.

Try not to read heavily into this one and keep it for what it was at the time.

Hope this helps.

Mcgowan Vs Maryland

• Julie

Maryland is still a great team. The ACC tourney (especially this year) is so close that often the team that "shows" up wins. Miami might have been helped by the fact that they didn't have to travel far to the tourney since it was in Florida. The travel could have had an impact on Maryland's preparation and given them time to "look past" Miami and focus on their next game. I think if anything this will fire Maryland up and help them to further tourney success, however the way that Vazquez played is kind of scary. If he plays the "freshman" type game he played today Maryland could be in trouble. Just my thoughts.