Can i recieve unemployment in alabama if I quit my job?

Best Answer

http://dir.alabama.gov/uc/claims.aspx#q4

This is the Alabama Dept of Labor - Unemployment web site.

"Q. Can I receive benefits if I quit my job or if I am terminated?

Generally, you must meet certain requirements to be eligible. You must be able to work, available for work, willing to accept suitable work, actively seeking full time work, and be out of work due to no fault of your own. If you voluntarily quit your job, THE BURDEN OF PROOF IS ON YOU TO SHOW THAT YOU QUIT FOR A GOOD WORK CONNECTED REASON. If you are terminated or discharged, your employer must show that you were terminated for a work-connected cause as stated in the Alabama UC Law."

Usually, allowable quits are related to

...DV (domestic violence)

...leaving a job to follow your spouse to his/her new job making it impossible to continue your employment

...harassment (usually sexual)

...threats to your safety; employer not providing a safe work environment

...employer not paying minimum wage or drastically altering work/pay conditions

Less likely, but still possible, is quitting due to work performance; i.e. you're not able to do the work to the employer's satisfaction but you've made every possible effort.

This usually only applies if the employer agrees.

The only way to know for absolute sure is to file a claim.

You must realize that if denied, you will be denied benefits from all future employment until you recertify your claim.

Here in Indiana, that means you must present 8 weeks' gross pay stubs that are equal to or greater than your WBA (weekly benefit amount).

That will allow you to receive benefits in the future if the need arises but you can't go back to claim benefits that were denied.

Source(s): Former Indiana unemployment deputy

Generally speaking, no. There are some extremely rare exceptions, but unless you can prove ongoing and ignored by management racial, sexual, or other illegal discrimination or harassment, you cannot get unemployment if you quit.

Quitting simply because you don't like your job, don't like your boss or coworkers, don't like your hours, or simply want to take the free money from unemployment does not make you eligible for unemployment.

You need to contact your unemployment office and ask them. There are circumstances where you can get unemployment if you quit (I know because I've done it) but your benefits are reduced. However, the rules are different state by state. So call and ask.

It would depend on why you quit.

• Steve

You quit!!

Nope

No you can't