R&S: What is the first religious movement that comes to mind that was founded by a woman?

I'll start with Tenrikyo founded by Nakayama Miki. I can think of three others.

If you're having trouble remembering one here's a hint: A movement in North America where procreation was frowned upon. They adopted in order to keep their movement alive until a law was passed preventing them from adopting for religious purposes.

Another Hint: This is a movement known for trying to set a trend by opening up vegan fastfood restaurants.

@Brittany

Is that in response to the hint ?

No not quite.

@Be Knott Wildered got the answer for the second hint

Here's another hint: This system was founded by a woman who was claimed as an ex-disciple by Osho, she publicly repudiated him

Favorite Answer

I am resisting the temptation of looking at the other answers before I answer. I find that as a general rule I do much better on my own. And many times reading another answer will reflect itself in the direction in which I go. However, that generally refers to a question regarding philosophy, a particular religious viewpoint or simply opinion. The first one that comes to my mind at the moment is Mary Baker Eddy, founder of Christian Science. However, that is only because I am currently reading a biography about her. Ordinarily, Ellen Gould Harmon White of the Seventh-day Adventists would come to mind first. After that, in no particular order (meaning that I will put them down as they come to mind).

Helen Blavatsky founded Theosophy.

Malinda E. Cramer, Divine Science

Myrtle & Charles Filmore, Unity Church.

Emma Curtis Hopkins (almost 100% certain, but darned if I can remember what religious movement without looking it up)

Aimee Semple McPherson, Evangelical Pentecostal Foursquare Church

Ann Lee, The United Society of Believers in Christ's Second Appearing, better known as Shakers

Catherine Booth, William Booth, Salvation Army

Elizabeth Clare Prophet and her husband, Mark Prophet, Church Universal and Triumphant

Helen Schuckman, A Course in Miracles (it may be Helena on the first name)

Charles Fillmore and his wife, Myrtle Fillmore, Unity Church

Sorry, I’m drawing a blank at the moment although I am pretty sure I have missed maybe two or three. I will offer an edit later if they come to me.

Edit, I do NOT want to look this up and by not looking it up I may leave myself very embarrassed but I'm going to take a shot at it and hope that I am at least close enough that you will recognize it.

Ching Hai

By the by, some of the other answers have left me chuckling.

Some people claim all faith is blind, but my faith is a carefully considered, carefully reasoned and very reasonable, rational and defensible faith. Were atheist Stephen Roberts (1901-1971) standing in front of me this moment, I would say back to him, “I contend that we are both men of faith. I just have faith in one more thing than you do, and for very good reason. When you fully understand why I disdain all the devisers of superstitions and dismiss the gods of vain imaginings, you will understand why I believe in my God, and you will believe also." -- B. Knott Wildered (Not my real name, but the quote is mine.)

Source(s): My source? Decades ago I could honestly say that I had already studied more religions than most people know exist. That study continues. What is my own personal religious belief? I went from Southern Baptist to very strong and staunch atheism and after many years of study embraced the Baha'i Faith. I have an open mind. Think I am wrong, think I am in the wrong religion? Show me something I missed. But the chances are that whether you be Christian or Atheist I can do a better job of defending your own chosen beliefs than you can do.
  • gatita

The Shakers

Canterbury Shaker Village was established in 1792 when followers of founder Mother Ann Lee formed their seventh community in Canterbury, NH, which remained prominent for 200 years. The religious group that we know today as the Shakers was formed in 18th-century England when dissidents from various religions, including English Quakers and Methodists, formed a religious society based on prophetic doctrine. The group, formally called the United Society of Believers, were known as Shaking Quakers, or Shakers, because of their use of ecstatic dance in worship.

The Shakers emigrated to the United States in 1774 and eventually established nineteen self-contained communities from Maine to Kentucky. Canterbury Shaker Village is one of the oldest, most typical and most completely preserved of the Shaker Villages. The Village contains the only intact, first-generation Meetinghouse, built in 1792, and Dwelling House, built in 1793, in their original locations. Overall, the Shakers were the most successful communitarian society in American history.

The Shakers’ revolutionary Christianity shocked their contemporaries. They challenged almost every mainstream ideal of American society during their time. Shakers believed in community ownership, pacifism, dancing in worship, equality of the sexes, celibacy, and living simply. Most Protestants of the day found that bringing dancing, whirling, and clapping into a sacred space and elevating it above the word of God, spoken by an ordained minister, was sacrilegious. But to the Shakers, the dancing signified a communal, not individual, relationship with God, which was a powerful symbol of the Shaker cultural system.

gatita

Baptized in Jesus Name according to Acts 2:38

Source(s): www.shakers.org/discover-learn/the-shakers

Jezebel, from the OT.and it seems it became a movement late in the first century

http://biblehub.com/revelation/2-20.htm

The first that came to mind was Scientology with Mary Baker Eddy.

• y2k

Shakers, Seventh Day Adventism & Theosophy.

New Age? That also has something to do with Theosophy (its the foundation).

Okay...how about Catharism?

Pure democracy?

• Greg

Feminism.

First to come to mind is Christian Science.

Nagging

What's a religious movement? Is that when you beg God to let you squeeze one out when you're constipated?