Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 7 years ago

Why do people think teens are stupid?

Do they forget they have raised us? That technology is actually helping kids learn? That they give us the job opportunities?

Favorite Answer

I'm 15 and I'd like to say that a lot of teenagers are stupid. Teens these days get influenced by media and are told how they should live life. Most teens don't even have their own opinions anymore almost like everything is in a rule book on how to live. I am not talking educationally wise because everyone comes from a different background and education. It would be unfair to judge a teen on how much they know. But as a human being many teenagers are stupid and ignorant. Maybe if their heroes and icons (famous people like actors or music artists) actually did something good for the world and talked about important things instead of selling out and inventing idiotic things (swag, twerking, yolo) then maybe a lot of teens wouldn't be so stupid. But it is also unfair to criticize all teenagers as stupid but I will say that plenty are.

Source(s): 10th grader who's sick of being labeled being part of an idiotic and ignorant generation. I don't want to be remembered being in this generation.
  • DK52

Because to a woman of my age with three grown children and having been a teen once I know teens are stupid. Better put "ignorant" meaning "don't know or don't know yet".

And of course they don't know for they have not lived long enough to experience a 3rd of what life, society, social, culture, relationships etc is going to toss at them.

Technology of today is a learning retardant: So many do not know how to interact face to face, conduct themselves with a celphone, don't understand emotions that aren't some text format emote. Making them "stupid".

I don't expect someone like you that would ask this question to entirely understand as you can not go back into the past some 30+ years...but if you could or just look into my mind you would find yourself saying "Damn teens are stupid". Again stupid as in ignorant, not moron.

• Ashton6 years agoReport

Not all teens are that way. :)

• AJS

Let me be the first "older" person to apologize for this. I am a 50 year old woman.

I thought that I would not be that way when I became the older generation but I caught myself doing just that to my step daughter.

When I was in schools we had less pressure and more value for what our parents paid for education. The 1960s were a difficult time but my parents shielded me from all of it.

Now days I see how much more stress is on kids and how little time is spent with them so I became that person that thinks young people today need more help.

Again I am sorry.

Source(s): I am an older person who has done this.

When someone says "Teens are stupid" they are likely referring to just the teens who do stupid things, not all teens. And there are also the people who hate teens because they're teens. I don't get why they think that way. I guess they think that all teens are stupid just because some make bad choices/aren't raised properly.

I'm 14, so I see both mature and immature teens pretty much every day. :p

Well, because honestly...we are. Our frontal love isn't fully developed until around age 21. From my experience, a portion of teenagers are obsessed with sex, acting "cool", parties, fashion, drugs and celebrities. This causes the adults to stereotype us because of that fair portion. We're not all dumb, but the people who find material objects better than a good friend, freak out if they're 15 and still a virgin or die without Instagram are.

All I have to say is that stereotypes are still in play these days. I think that maybe they see us as irresponsible and ignorant because the stereotype dictates as such. But oh well, it's the life of a teen.

• Ashton6 years agoReport

Yeah. There are some irresponsible and ignorant teens, though. If anyone treated me like I was ignorant and crazy, I'd feel really offended.

Its just choices the teens makes but they learn from there. It just takes time for teens to realize reality. I don't see why people hate teens...I mean no matter we are all human just different ages.

Adults just think because their old that they know everything. I know when I'm an adult I won't think that way.