On what if any grounds can a appeal a guilty verdict in a MA District Court?

A mentally unstable woman, who I had a young child with, took out a restraining order against me, because I would not go back with her and then just after that, told the police that I was outside her house at nearly 11pm in 20 degree F weather, calling up to his room on the second floor. The way she described it was impossible, because where she would have been and his bedroom are on different sides of the building. Also her description of the building and lighting were incorrect. I did not get round to getting subpoenas to send to EBAY, PayPal, Google, Sprint, etc. I was home all night on my computer, searching EBAY and making purchases at the time.

1 Answer

  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    I do not know the laws in your state. But they seem to follow a generic pattern:

    A. It's a restraining order. So, one can assume it is a _civil_ proceeding. What are the grounds for appeal in your state? Contact the local family law or neighborhood law center.

    B. When you went to court (I assume you had the common sense to go to court to fight it), you made the mistake of not subpoena-ing potential alibi records from third parties despite having about 10 to 30 days to do so. I assume you did not ask the judge for a MUTUAL restraining order--which keeps her away!

    C. Keep a record of your whereabouts at all times. Usually, your cell phone's GPS will do.

    D. She may try to use the issued restraining order to frame you for future CRIMINAL contempt charges, very easy to do. But harder to prove.

    E. Move to another city, if possible. Or another suburb where physical distance will make further criminal allegations almost impossible to prove.

    F. Overall, you are ahead of the game. The restraining order forbids contact with her. Therefore, she has made it twice as hard to get back with her!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.