Post office keeps making us move our box?

We moved into an old(ish) house out on a country road in Arkansas about two months ago. The house has never had a mailbox installed so we called the post office and asked them where we should put it. They sent the carrier for our area out and she told my wife where we should place the box.

It's worth noting that we live in the mountains in a VERY rocky area and it's very, very difficult to dig a hole deep enough to place a post in so we wanted to make sure we got it right the first time.

I took an entire weekend digging and setting the box up where the mail carrier showed my wife to place it. They delivered our mail ONCE and the following day, we got a letter from the post office stating that we had to move our box.

So, we had them come out and show us where they want it...again. It was a different lady. And she told us to put it on the other side of the road. So I spent another weekend going through the whole thing again.

Since then, our delivery has been hit and miss. Some days we get our mail and some days we don't.

Saturday, I happened to be home on a day when they actually decided to deliver our mail. I happened to be outside when they came and the lady pulled up and handed the mail directly to me. Originally my thought was "awwww, how friendly!" (This was the third lady I've seen deliver the mail and I thought maybe she would be a little nicer than the other two since she was kind enough to drive up and hand my mail to me directly.)

I was wrong. She drove up to tell me that I had to move my box...again...back to the other side of the road.

Yeah, this is getting a little old.

Every time I have called and asked the Post Master about it, they've told me that we have to comply with the carrier's requests regarding our box...

In response to elhigh:

Totally agree with what you're saying and would say that you are spot on if we happened to be in a rural area.

To be more exact, we're the only house on this street and they can only come from one direction because if you go about a quarter of a mile down the street from the house, the road becomes impassible unless you're driving a VERY heavy duty truck (I've seen more than one car try to go down that way and they always end up walking back to our house a few minutes later because they've blown a tire on the jagged terrain.)

It's a very small town. The route supervisor and the post master happen to be the same person in our case and they keep telling us that we have to do whatever the mail carrier is asking us to do.

Which brings us back to the original problem. Three different mail carriers are telling us three different things and I'm rather tired of having to chisel through about 8 inches of rock every time they tell us we

• elhigh
    Favorite Answer

Stop asking the postmaster. Ask the route supervisor. That individual, the one who is in charge of those carriers, will give you the final word.

The problem is you've talked to four different people and gotten more than one different response. Your different carriers may run the delivery route differently; one may be setting herself up to start west of you and deliver toward her house, so she winds up at the end of her shift close to home...and the OTHER carrier may be starting east of you and delivering toward HER house so she ends her shift close to home. In neither case is this bad practice, but it does mean you're seeing cross purposes.

One thing you could do would be to drive up and down the road and see which side all the mailboxes are on. I see this around here, too: on the rural roads, the mailboxes are all on one side, regardless of which side the house is on. The mail comes from THIS way and only goes THAT way. Necessarily, so do the newspaper deliveries since they often go in the newspaper's box directly below the mail. So preexisting practice could be a strong guide. But ultimately talking to the route supervisor will settle the matter, especially if you point up how you're getting distressed that your mail appears to risk a lot of mishandling and unnecessary delay until this matter is settled.

[edit]

Your solution is still to take your problem to the route supervisor/postmaster. If you can't get a consensus answer from the carriers, it's the postmaster's job to make a ruling. The carriers are his subordinates and when subordinates are moving at cross purposes, it's management's DUTY to get things back in line.

If that doesn't pan out, take your problem to the next step up in the management chain. Who's the district supervisor? Regional? The job of postal carrier is sometimes a thankless job, but it carries with it a tremendous responsibility. There isn't a creed or oath to which they swear commitment, but their responsibility is due not to you, but to the SENDER - the entity that has already affixed postage and dropped the mail in the box. By accepting the mail, they agree to take on the responsibility of safely delivering that mail to you, the intended recipient. By hemming and hawing and getting caught up in the this-side-or-that-side debate of where a mailbox should go on a street that is effectively a dead end, they are losing sight of what matters. They aren't doing the job they promised to do.

Remind them of that.

Good luck with it.

Source(s): Handyman

make a compliant