Jean asked in Society & CultureRoyalty · 7 years ago

Which titles will Princess Madeleine's baby have?

So Princess Madeleine of Sweden is due in March. Which titles will the baby get?

For those who will say, women can't pass titles, they can in Sweden. Madeleine's hubby could have taken her ducal title had he been willing to give up his US citizenship and take up the Swedish one.

So, since the princess can confer her titles to her husband, I guess she can pass them to her children? Will the baby be a prince/ princess of Sweden, and become the duke or duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland in due time?

Thanks.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Presumably none. They will assume their father's name and become Herr/Master *name* O'Neill or Fröken/Miss *name* O'Neill. Chris made a choice not to become a royal, so I highly doubt that their children will be made either royal or noble.

While I know that Princess Christina's matter is different, her children weren't granted any royal titles either, so I doubt Princess Madeleine's will.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Lili
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

The baby will probably have no titles.

You have misunderstood. In the first place, titles in Europe descend through the father unless the mother is the monarch or first heir to the throne. When a man marries a princess and refuses a title of his own, the children normally have no titles. That is the case with the children of Princess Anne in the UK, to name one example, and also with the children of Princess Martha Louise in Norway.

In the second, Madeleine herself cannot "pass" a title to her husband. Even if Madeleine's husband had taken Swedish citizenship, only the King could have decreed that he would become the Duke of Halsingland and Gastrikland. Madeleine does not have that power, and the titles would not have been automatic on marriage.

The King could, if he wished confer titles on the children of this marriage, but the Scandinavian monarchies are modest affairs, and the number of titles associated with them is limited.

• Clo
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Unless given a title by the King, the child will have none. Titles pass through the father's side. You misunderstood things about Madeleine's husband as well. Men do NOT assume titles and styles of their wives. Men may be BESTOWED their OWN titles by the monarch! Christopher O'Neill retains American citizenship, did not take a title and remains a private citizen.

Unlike his brother-in-law Prince Daniel, Christopher O'Neill holds no royal duties or titles, because a member of the Swedish royal family must hold Swedish citizenship, which O'Neill has declined. As a private citizen, he will continue his career in finance. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_O%27Neill

• 7 years ago

I once read that the children will be brought up Protestants so they can have a place in line of succession to the throne.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Peasant Medaline if it's a girl,she might be peasant George(William and Katherine son) future wife.Both peasant children of half royal blood marry and live in New York city.To create a unroyal life in Penthouse homes of wealthy elite..

Source(s): bloodlines
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.