Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 7 years ago

How to understand my generation?

I don't know if I was born in the wrong generation or If I'm just lame or something. Everyone that's my age is likes stuff like yolo,twerking and swag and all they talk about is instragram. They take pichure of people without there permission and make fun of them. My school allows us to have there laptops and phones out. All everyone does is talk about stuff on the internet.

Favorite Answer

I'm not sure how to help you understand your generation, except to say that your generation is *very* tuned into digital trends. My high school experiences were in the 1990s, a time that's really not all that long ago. Yet it seems like such a different world compared to today. Nobody I knew had laptops or cell phones at school. I didn't have the Internet at home until I was in Grade 12. There were only three computers in my school connected to the Web. There were popular fads roughly corresponding to yolo and twerking back in the day like hacky sack, but nobody put videos of kids playing hacky sack up on the Web. The pace of change is definitely rather dramatic. My mom grew up in the 1950s in a house out in the woods that didn't initially have electricity or running water! Imagine having to do laundry by pouring well water into a big wash basin and scrubbing everything by hand!!

I do have some advice though. If you feel you can't relate to your generation, why not hang out with some people who are older? For example, perhaps you could get to know some of your parents' friends a bit better? They can make great friends and have valuable wisdom gained from life experience to share with you. And they have other interests besides yolo, twerking, swag and talking about Instagram all the time.