In Australia, can this be true? Pauline Hanson elected to the NSW Senate?

Update:

@Jay. Maybe the ABC were trolling. It clearly said that she had been elected.

Update 2:

@Jay. Maybe the ABC were trolling. It clearly said that she had been elected.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Best Answer

If you look at that web page, Pauline Hanson was excluded in count 42. She was not elected.

The votes counted would be those above the line. Papers where people voted below the line would not be counted yet. Because the entire distribution of preferences for each box above the line is in the AEC computer, once the complete numbers for each above-the-line box are known, the computer can count the votes, exclude the lowest scoring candidates and distribute preferences according to the known preferences for each candidate. This means they can run 42 counts (or more if necessary) easily over the evening.

A quota is one seventh of the votes cast plus one. Once a candidate achieves that, they are elected. Six candidates in NSW have got their quotas so apart from some tidying up, the Senate count for NSW is over. The winners were 2 Liberal, 2 ALP, 1 National, 1 Liberal Democrat.

• 6 years ago

She soaked up preferences. That's what happens when 99 % of voters can't be bothered voting below the line because 110 candidates are too many to go through. The AEC really needs to cull some of those parties or reduce the number of candidates per party so people will vote properly. It makes a joke of our democracy.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

OMG ! That can't be happening ...she only wanted the cash , not the job ! Now she might have to actually work ...lol

Maybe if they have a recount they can get her out of it ...

Source(s): J..
  • 6 years ago

oh my god i know, i just saw that and i was like what the **** surely this cannot be true. my friend said its a mistake but how can it be? this is a result of years of racist fear mongering about ethnic minorities and refugees by the media and the current government. why else would Australians elect this fascist(i mean this in the literal sense) monster? this is a return to the howard era. this country has gone backwards. i hope this is a mistake

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.