Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

Why does the Bible omit all mention of God allowing them to eat fruit of a tree of ignorance of good & evil?

The Bible tells about God forbidding them from eating the fruit of a tree of knowledge of good & evil.

Yet the Bible totally ignores the fruit of a tree of ignorance of good & evil. Why?

When the God allowed them to eat of the fruit of ignorance, but not the fruit of knowledge, shouldn't this raise a question in the minds of mortals? Let us at least ask why. Anybody?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

“Even if we could read the Bible in Hebrew, we would still be reading a highly selective and edited version of events. It is not disputed that the bishops in the earliest Christian councils decided which texts should be included and which not. Texts which were considered unacceptable then, for whatever reasons, have always been regarded as outside the canon and therefore “apocryphal” rather than the canonised “holy” books.’ There is little doubt that the 39 books of the Old Testament were the result of a protracted process of editing and collation. The religions deny this of course, but the first five books, known as the Pentateuch represent a collation of heavily edited material.

In the nineteenth century, a group of German scholars, studying various Biblical inconsistencies, came to the conclusion that there were four sources behind the Pentateuch, and their explanation is regarded by many as the best available. The word of Moses, which was supposedly written in the Sinai desert in the fourteenth or fifteenth century BC, was thus being edited hundreds of years later, whilst the Book of Genesis was almost certainly an edited account of much earlier material.

The first parts of Genesis, from the tale of Creation through the tales of Adam and Eve, the Garden of Eden, the Tower of Babel, the Great Flood, Sodom and Gomorrah, the Wars of the Kings in which Abraham was involved -- are all based on earlier Sumerian records. The origin of the Biblical seven days of creation is almost certainly the seven tablets on which the Enuma Elish was written. This is evident from the contrast between the first six Babylonian tablets describing Marduk’s acts of creation and the seventh tablet which is dedicated to a general exaltation of the god (and thus a parallel to the Biblical seventh day when God rested).

During the last one hundred years, tens of thousands of clay tablets have been excavated in ancient Mesopotamia (modern day Iraq) dating back to 6,000 years ago. Archaeological and linguistic studies trace the origin of the Elohim concept to a Babylonian epic text known as the Enuma Elish, which deals with the creation of the heavens and Earth by a Babylonian God named Marduk. There is amazing similarity between Genesis and the Enuma Elish except that one credits the creation of heavens and Earth to God, whilst the other credits it to Marduk.

The HEBREW, EXILED IN BABYLON, WERE INFLUENCED BY THE ENUMA ELISH, which had been the most sacred Babylonian ritual text for over a thousand years.”

The earliest books of Genesis were handed down from generation to generation by oral tradition, before the Hebrew people developed a system of Phoenician writing, around 1000 BCE. So the Hebrews remembered bits and pieces of the Sumerian texts and wrote them down ADDING THEIR TWISTS AND SPIN ON IT when they learnt how to write

• epona
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

Adam and Eve were ignorant of good and evil until AFTER they ate from the tree of knowledge. There was no "fruit of ignorance", just the forbidden "fruit of knowledge", which they ate and thus gained knowledge of good and bad.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

It tells us not to eat from the tree of knowledge, which is pretty much what Atheists and theists do.

I mean look at Dawkins always ranting at vicars, he thinks religion is the cause of mankinds problems, and not what mankind does in the name of religion.

I can assure you, nobody cheats MR G.

I pictured a rainbow

You held it in your hands

I had flashes

But you saw the plan

I wandered out in the world for years

While you just stayed in your room

I saw the crescent

You saw the whole of the moon

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/w/waterboys/the+whole+o...

• 7 years ago

First of all I believe that human beings are created with choice and that the world is meant to give us choice. I think the story in the garden of eden is meant to show us the dangers of knowledge. It is not meant to show us why there is evil in the world. Evil exists in this world because goodness must be earned and not granted.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

UUUMMM if it never talks about it in the bible then where did you get that from? I think that's the real question

• ?
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Best laugh I've had all day.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.