Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 6 years ago

If i change my tampon after wearing it for a few hours into a new tampon will i get TSS?

like say i wear one for 3 hours and change into a new one and wear that new onefor 3 hours, will i get TSS

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Kasha
    Lv 7
    6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

There's nothing to say you'll contract TSS, but it's always a risk.

The idea that it only occurs from leaving tampons in too long is a myth, in fact most victims contract TSS within the first few hours of using a tampon - if the bacterial toxin responsible is present, and the woman lacks immunity, the effect is immediate. In fact changing too often can actually increase the risk too because if the tampon isn't saturated it could be more drying and thus more damaging to vaginal tissues, thus giving toxins responsible for TSS a more direct route into your bloodstream.

Precautions to reduce risks of TSS and other health risks;

- Change every 4-6 hours.

- Always use lowest absorbency.

- Change absorbency as flow changes.

- Alternate with pads as often as possible.

- Avoid rayon tampons eg. Tampax, Playtex, Kotex.

- Opt for cotton tampons eg. Cottons, Natracare, Emerita.

- Do not use before your period.

- Do not use with light flow or spotting.

- Do not use overnight while sleeping.

- Do not use during a vaginal infection.

- Wash hands before use.

- Store in clean dry place.

- Learn about TSS and other risks.

- Consider safer options like menstrual cups.

You ARE Loved (TSS information and stories) - http://www.you-are-loved.org

• EnGiem
    Lv 6
    6 years ago

You are always at risk when using tampons, contrary to popular belief it isn't from just wearing them for some magically fatal amount of hours, many cases start from the first few, wearing them for some 8+ hours simply increases the risk that is already there. TSS is not from how long you were using the tampon but from certain toxin producing bacteria and your body's ability or inability to fight it off.

Read more about TSS from here - http://you-are-loved.org/ - and follow the instructions there for lowering your risk when using tampons.

Or even consider using safer options such as menstrual cups, they're far safer to use, can be worn safely up to 12 hours, and are far more convenient to use.

• 6 years ago

No. That's How You Are Supposed To Use Tampons.

Look Up What TSS Is, I Don't Think You Know.

It Takes 8+ Hours For That To Happen.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.