What to do now? And is this true today? And if so, why donso many celebrate holidays like Christmas, Easter, e?

Ok, I was Baptized and also Born again Christian.

The thing thats botherin me most is the holidays.

Can I not celebrate christmas now? I understand that We are celebrating Jesus birth, but what ive read in the bible it clearly states that The cutting down of a tree and decorating it is wrong

Jeremiah 10, 1-4

Matthew 15, 3

Other scriptures also state celebrations should not be celebrated either.

I was raised bringing a christmas tree in and decorating it. Exchanging gifts, singing carols, etc.

We celebrate Jesus birth wth all this Stories of His birth and the Nativity, church activities (mychurch brings in a tree on christmas ad decorate it too. Does that make the church heathens too?

Confused..please help me understand....I coukd mention the other holidays...but Christmas has always been the most important in our lives. ...This is not just about my feelings on it but the kids. Had this discussion with my husband and he was crushed. What would I tell the kids if we gave up Christmas?

Ted, Thank you very much I will go to my pastor with my concerns.

Violet, Thank you. Very informative.

Favorite Answer

Hello,

It is true, christmas has no roots in the Bible at all. And the Bible is a gift from God, it is beneficial to us in many ways. (2 Timothy 3:16) The customs related to Christmas and Christmas itself does have its roots deeply in false religion. The Christmas Encyclopedia, says, “The establishment of December 25 evolved not from biblical precedent, but from pagan Roman festivals held at year’s end,” about the time of the winter solstice in the Northern Hemisphere. Those festivals included the Saturnalia, in honor of Saturn, god of agriculture, “and the combined festivals of two sun gods, the Roman Sol and the Persian Mithra,” says the same encyclopedia. Both birthdays were celebrated on December 25, the winter solstice according to the Julian calendar.

Those pagan festivals began to be “Christianized” in the year 350, when Pope Julius I declared December 25 to be Christ’s birthday. “The Nativity gradually absorbed or supplanted all other solstice rites,” says the Encyclopedia of Religion. “Solar imagery came increasingly to be used to portray the risen Christ (who was also called Sol Invictus), and the old solar disk . . . became the halo of Christian saints.”In fact, the first century christians did not celebrate such a holiday, nor did they celebrate Jesus' birth at all. They did however commemorate his death and what it means for all those who follow Jesus' footsteps.

(Luke 22:17-20; 1 Corinthians 11:23-26)

So this is just a small bit of info on christmas, but God no doubt wants us to spend time with family and friends, but why not do so on other days of the year, instead of on a date that romans celebrated their false Gods? (Psalm 32:11)

Worrying about these issues is common. You have some interesting points and you should talk to the Pastor of your church. He/She will be happy to explain. This would be a lot better than looking for answers from strangers on the internet.

Oh my gosh dont believe in the bible mumbojumbo. Have you ever used paper? Well that came from a tree. Dont be so devout to some stupid book

Source(s): Atheist who celebrates christmas