Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Has anyone ever read a book and been surprised at good it was?

They say not to judge a book by its cover. And I guess never a truer word was spoken.

I am currently read one of Mark Chopper Read's books and it is outstanding. It is confronting and honest.

Have any of you guys ever judged a book by its cover and got it wrong?

Whether it was worse than you expected, or better than you expected, have you got it wrong before?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • E
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Absolutely. I bought a signed copy of Pauline Collins' "Letter to Louise" because I'm a fan. But I figured, a book written by an actress, I really shouldn't expect much--I mostly bought it just to own. But I did read it, and was very pleasantly surprised by how good it was. In fact, I recently re-read it.

• 8 years ago

Two books, one I just finished three days ago and the other I'm almost done with, have surprised me. The first one, the one I finished, was 'The Vision' by Dean Koontz. I hear he is a very good author. Honestly I'm not at all a fan of horror type stories. They don't interest me. I didn't think I was even going to read The Vision. I was in my living room just relaxing when I noticed a box of books my mom had. They were all romance and horror and I don't like either of those. But I was bored so I picked up the first one on top, The Vision, and read a few lines. Turns out I couldn't put it down. Loved it!

The second, ironically, was romance. Romance and horror are my top two genre dislikes in books and movies.

It's titled 'The Valcourt Heiress'. I liked the cover of it and decided to check it out. After I reached chapter two I thought I was done with it. The characters spoke funny and it was a little hard to read (example; "Mayhap she dost not love him. Doubtess naught she has her maidenhead.") Etc. It was hard to read- until I continued that is. I planned to read just a bit more before I slept, determined to read more than two chapters. I ended up not sleeping that night and forcing myself to sleep in the morning. I read from chapter two to thirteen and the more I read the more I understood the story!

Whether you believe you'll like or dislike a book, you should read a good bit before you put it down. I've also learned to just start reading a book rather than read the summary first. If you don't like the summary you might not read the book and you could be missing out.

Source(s): My recent personal experiences.
  • 8 years ago

I judged Vanessa Diffenbaugh’s The Language of Flowers by its cover, and got it totally wrong! The book had been bought for me as a present by a relative, and I didn't really think it was my kind of style, as the cover and title looked quite girly/soppy and it sounded like a romance, whereas I prefer thrillers and historical novels. It sat on my bookshelf for a few months until I'd run out of things to read, so I thought I'd give it a try. And I was so surprised! It was actually very hard hitting, original and moving, both elegant and gritty, and I was hooked from the first few pages! =)

• K
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

Sometimes. I'm a bit peculiar in what I read, even I would read everything and anything. For me to read a book, I see it from 2 points: 1) cover and 2) synopsis. If the first doesn't attract me, the description in the 2nd can. If both doesn't attract me, I'll try reading a few lines. If that doesn't move me, I'll leave it alone for a while until I got pull towards it again.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

I would say no.

When I was young--it was subject matter.

Gaudal Canal Diary, I would say was not all that interesting. (comparison)

I never finished reading it. (11-years old)

I think the most surprising book I ever read was by Dr. Steven Weinberg PHd/The Discovery of Subatomic Particles (1983)

I found it in a Copley SQ. Book Store. (37-years old)

Lee Iacocco wrote a book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iacocca:_An_Autobiogr...

Can't remember the title, I was reading it on the AMTRAK train to Florida from NYC.

I stopped about half way--just for the sake of thinking. It was a nice story. (1985)

Soul of a New Machine was kinda' dull--but very interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/Soul-New-Machine-Modern-Libr...

Somebody stole my book. (1984)

I think I prefer subject as a sight.

• Ree 9
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

Yes

• 8 years ago

Often.One would be "Crime And Punishment"I thought it would be too difficult for me.Thought I´d be struggling ...though you can cogitate on the themes till Doomsday..the way it is written was not so challenging..And the end happy(ish)..

• 8 years ago

Sea Wolf... Jack London.

Source(s): You think it's just a story about some guy on a boat... but the character developments are awesome and you really start rooting against and for folks in the story.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.