Has anyone ever read a book and been surprised at good it was?

They say not to judge a book by its cover. And I guess never a truer word was spoken.

I am currently read one of Mark Chopper Read's books and it is outstanding. It is confronting and honest.

Have any of you guys ever judged a book by its cover and got it wrong?

Whether it was worse than you expected, or better than you expected, have you got it wrong before?

• E
    Favorite Answer

Absolutely. I bought a signed copy of Pauline Collins' "Letter to Louise" because I'm a fan. But I figured, a book written by an actress, I really shouldn't expect much--I mostly bought it just to own. But I did read it, and was very pleasantly surprised by how good it was. In fact, I recently re-read it.

Two books, one I just finished three days ago and the other I'm almost done with, have surprised me. The first one, the one I finished, was 'The Vision' by Dean Koontz. I hear he is a very good author. Honestly I'm not at all a fan of horror type stories. They don't interest me. I didn't think I was even going to read The Vision. I was in my living room just relaxing when I noticed a box of books my mom had. They were all romance and horror and I don't like either of those. But I was bored so I picked up the first one on top, The Vision, and read a few lines. Turns out I couldn't put it down. Loved it!

The second, ironically, was romance. Romance and horror are my top two genre dislikes in books and movies.

It's titled 'The Valcourt Heiress'. I liked the cover of it and decided to check it out. After I reached chapter two I thought I was done with it. The characters spoke funny and it was a little hard to read (example; "Mayhap she dost not love him. Doubtess naught she has her maidenhead.") Etc. It was hard to read- until I continued that is. I planned to read just a bit more before I slept, determined to read more than two chapters. I ended up not sleeping that night and forcing myself to sleep in the morning. I read from chapter two to thirteen and the more I read the more I understood the story!

Whether you believe you'll like or dislike a book, you should read a good bit before you put it down. I've also learned to just start reading a book rather than read the summary first. If you don't like the summary you might not read the book and you could be missing out.

Source(s): My recent personal experiences.

I judged Vanessa Diffenbaugh’s The Language of Flowers by its cover, and got it totally wrong! The book had been bought for me as a present by a relative, and I didn't really think it was my kind of style, as the cover and title looked quite girly/soppy and it sounded like a romance, whereas I prefer thrillers and historical novels. It sat on my bookshelf for a few months until I'd run out of things to read, so I thought I'd give it a try. And I was so surprised! It was actually very hard hitting, original and moving, both elegant and gritty, and I was hooked from the first few pages! =)

• K

Sometimes. I'm a bit peculiar in what I read, even I would read everything and anything. For me to read a book, I see it from 2 points: 1) cover and 2) synopsis. If the first doesn't attract me, the description in the 2nd can. If both doesn't attract me, I'll try reading a few lines. If that doesn't move me, I'll leave it alone for a while until I got pull towards it again.

I would say no.

When I was young--it was subject matter.

Gaudal Canal Diary, I would say was not all that interesting. (comparison)

I never finished reading it. (11-years old)

I think the most surprising book I ever read was by Dr. Steven Weinberg PHd/The Discovery of Subatomic Particles (1983)

I found it in a Copley SQ. Book Store. (37-years old)

Lee Iacocco wrote a book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iacocca:_An_Autobiogr...

Can't remember the title, I was reading it on the AMTRAK train to Florida from NYC.

I stopped about half way--just for the sake of thinking. It was a nice story. (1985)

Soul of a New Machine was kinda' dull--but very interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/Soul-New-Machine-Modern-Libr...

Somebody stole my book. (1984)

I think I prefer subject as a sight.

• Ree 9

Yes

Often.One would be "Crime And Punishment"I thought it would be too difficult for me.Thought I´d be struggling ...though you can cogitate on the themes till Doomsday..the way it is written was not so challenging..And the end happy(ish)..

Sea Wolf... Jack London.

Source(s): You think it's just a story about some guy on a boat... but the character developments are awesome and you really start rooting against and for folks in the story.