Can I request to leave socks on during a surgery?

Okay. I'm sitting on the edge of my bed, unable to get up (yet)...have a pain traveling from my lower back down my left buttock down the back of my thigh, also on the front of my thigh traveling down my knee.

I work at a hospital, and plan to get looked at in the ER if things don't get better before I go to work in about 5 hours.

I have a "phobia" of feet. In a worst case scenario, if surgery is needed (highly doubt it though), will I be able to request my socks to stay on during surgery?

Favorite Answer

I don't see why they wouldn't let you, unless the surgery is need on your foot. If it comes to that, just ask them about it.

Chances are you would still be wearing a hospital gown in surgery thats cut specifically where the surgery is needed. You'd still be dressed, and they probably wouldn't care about your socks.

Source(s): ...Deductive reasoning?
  • Elias

I'm sure the hospital can accommodate you with their own sterile socks. They have them available and use them all the time in the OR. Just ask. They may not be super keen on you wearing your own socks, but that's something you can discuss with the surgeon. He may not mind.

• Lesus

Are you afraid of your own feet? Do you wear socks in the bath?