NBC News said tonight that Ariel Castro plead guilty to avoid the death penalty.?

I thought the death penalty was just for murder and espionage.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Grinch
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Ariel Castro was charged with, and pleaded guilty to, aggravated murder for the miscarriages he forced one of his hostages to suffer.

He agreed to plead guilty in exchange for a life sentence without possibility of parole, rather than a trial with the death penalty a possibility. So yes, he pleaded guilty to avoid the death penalty. The death penalty was a bargaining chip ... it's unlikely that he would ever have received it (there was no physical evidence).

But the heinous and brutal nature of his crimes against the three survivors was such that, with so much overwhelming evidence against him, life without parole was the best he could hope for, and threatening him with the death penalty spared the victims from having to endure a trial and the citizens of Ohio a HUGE price tag for a trial (and the inevitable subsequent appeals), and took the possibility of ever appealing his convictions off the table.

Him offing himself ... was just icing on the cake. Now my fellow Ohioans and I don't have to pay to feed and house the monster for the next 30 years.

• Login to reply the answers
  • I've never heard of anyone getting the death penalty for kidnapping.

Ariel Castro beat one of the girls (who he got pregnant 5 times) until she lost the baby's. The victims claim he did this FIVE times, to at least one of the girls. They were trying to bring him up on murder charges for this. This is why Castro pleaded guilty, to avoid the death penalty. I guess he wanted to die by his own hand, rather than let the State put him to death.

Edit: Just for the record: Rape and kidnapping does not make anyone eligible for the death penalty, NOT in the US.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Rape plus kidnapping carrys the death penalty but he did have 2 counts of aggravated murder.

• 7 years ago

The death penalty was considered based on him beating one of the women to induce a miscarriage, which did occur.

For a variety of reasons, they decided to take a plea to life instead.

The other answers regarding rape and kidnapping are inaccurate.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

The beatings he gave his victims caused multiple deaths of unborn babies.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.