What do i need to do to become a probation officer in San Diego CA ?

I'm currently a senior, and i'd like to become a probation officer or a parole officer. I just don't know what i should do right now ? I don't have the grades to get into a 4 year college. Could i just go to a police academy ? What are the requirements to become a probation/parole officer ?

2 Answers

  • J.W.
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    That depends on the agency you want to work for. Consider county, state, and federal probation officer jobs. Below is the qualifications required to become a deputy probation officer for the County of San Diego.

    All applicants are required to pass a criminal and personal background investigation, a truth verification examination, and psychological and medical evaluations which include drug and alcohol screening. Felony convictions are disqualifying and misdemeanor convictions may be disqualifying depending on the severity and recent occurrence of the conviction. Other requirements include meeting the guidelines established by the Commission for Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) and in Section 1031 of the Government Code. Additionally, you must be 21 years of age at the time of appointment; have a high school diploma or GED; be a U.S. citizen or have applied to become a citizen; and have a good driving record with a valid California Class C drivers license. One must also qualify to obtain a Class B drivers license for transportation purposes. One must meet the following education and work experience requirements: (A) Qualified applicants must possess a bachelor's degree from a U.S. accredited college or university, or certified equivalency for foreign ‎studies; AND, either: (1) At least one year full-time experience as a Correctional Deputy Probation Officer (CDPO); OR, (2) At least one year ‎full-time experience in an equivalent position in the criminal justice system, providing functions of treatment counseling or criminal ‎investigation; OR, (3) At least one year full-time paid experience with custody and control responsibilities such as a K-12 teacher or first-line ‎supervisor in the U.S. military. Student worker and Teacher's Aide experience is not considered qualifying experience. You must ‎attach a copy of your transcripts. Education requirements of all eligible candidates are verified by the department.

    Any properly accredited college or university would be fine. I would consider private and public schools. Consider attending a community college for a couple years. Whatever school you choose, get the highest grade point average that you can, and do whatever else you can to make yourself the best candidate that you can. Getting law enforcement officer jobs is becoming more and more competitive. Best of luck!

  • Kris
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

    you need a degree,they prefer it in the area of law enforcement.

    Certified police officers are not allowed to become PO's so save your time and money.

    Source(s): Juvenile Services Officer
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.