Are black knives more resistant...?

To corrosion than the average stainless steel knives?

Favorite Answer

Some black coatings can help certain knives resist corrosion. Knives are colored black for two reasons: corrosion resistance, and being tacti-cool. Some knives such as Benchmade are made of high-carbon steel, which holds a much better edge much longer than does stainless steel. Unfortunately, high-carbon steel is not rustproof, and if the knife is not taken care of properly, it will develop rust and possibly some pitting if it is neglected too much.

Stainless steel is not quite rustproof, but it's darn close. Unfortunately, the stuff that makes it resist rust and tarnishing also causes the steel not to hold a very good edge. Don't get me wrong, there are some very good knives made from stainless steel. However, they require more frequent sharpening, they will never take as good an edge as high-carbon steel, the blades are not quite as stout, and stainless steel will not produce sparks when struck against a piece of flint.

I own knives in both stainless and high-carbon steel. I buy the knife according to its intended purpose. For daily carry knives and hunting knives, I like high-carbon steel. I take good care of my knives, so rust is never really a problem. When I carry a knife, I keep it in a sheath on my belt, not in my pocket where the knife can get sweaty. I use carnauba wax and mineral oil to keep my carbon steel knives fairly rust-resistant.

For knives that see only occasional use, I like stainless. Fishing knives (filleting and bait cutting) are always stainless. If I was going to carry a folding knife in my pocket, I would carry a stainless knife. The majority of off-the-shelf knives are stainless.

Back to the black color question: high-carbon steel knives are often powder coated black except for the edge. This makes most of the knife impervious to moisture and rust. Unfortunately, this can also give a false sense of security. The edge is just as prone to rust, and such knives are often neglected because of the ostensible rust resistance that the powder coating provides. Tacti-cool knives which are black, camouflage, or some other color, are simply colored for aesthetic purposes. The coloration provides little or no corrosion resistance and wears quickly. These colorations are very thin, and are often simply paint. Powder coatings tend to be much thicker, and usually have a rough texture to them.

• august

Not generally. Most of the "black" knives you might encounter are just painted that color, especially when you get to the inexpensive ones.

Be more specific in which model of knife you're talking about, and you could probably get a better answer.