Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAustraliaMelbourne · 6 years ago

Who can get exemptions to not vote and who are not allowed to vote?

I will be voting this weekend and know it is mandatory to vote, yet wondering who may get an exemption to not vote and ones who are forbidden from voting.

I have just outdone my brother in college. They my parents tried to sabotage it but failed at it.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • zafir
    Lv 7
    6 years ago
    Best Answer

The following people are either excluded or exempt from voting:

Prisoners serving a full-time sentence of three years or more are not allowed to vote until released from prison.

Anyone convicted of treason or treachery may not vote.

Anyone of unsound mind.

Norfolk Islanders - but may enrol if they want, but once enrolled must vote.

Antarctic electors, eligible overseas electors, and itinerant electors are exempt.

Anyone else who does not vote will receive a letter asking them to supply valid and sufficient reason as to why they didn't vote. This can include religious reasons.

http://www.aec.gov.au/About_AEC/Publications/backg...

• 6 years ago

Some people claim a religious reason for not voting and specific religions are allowed to do that. If you are in gaol with a sentence of 12 months or more, you cannot vote. Apart from that, everyone is required to present themselves at the polling place and have their names marked off the roll. It is a secret ballot so what you write on your ballot paper, if anything, is known only to you.

• OzNana
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

You have to be a naturalised Australian citizen in order to vote these days. In addition to the people listed by your other folks who responded to your question, quite a lot of Aboriginal people refuse to vote. Their reasons vary, and they're happy to risk a fine.

Well done for your performance in college! Education's the only way forward!!!

• Katty
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

If you choose not to vote on religious grounds you need to have a letter from the head of your recognised religion arm (e.g. JW) confirming you are a current observant member.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.