Could Dennis Rodman shut down LeBron?

if not Rodman, could Scottie pippen?

Favorite Answer

People don't understand how great of a defender Rodman was, he could guard any position in the front court tremendously, even guards in his early days in Detroit. You can even argue that he is the greatest defender to play basketball. Going against LeBron would be fun to watch, before thinking people would say that LeBron is to strong, and he could beat him of the dribble, and just back him down in the post, not true. Rodman would guarded Jordan from time to time in the late 80's early 90's, and he was great a drawing the offensive foul (remember Jordan is faster than Rodman), also Rodman guarded Shaq in the mid 90's, yes I said Shaq, O'Neal could barely get the ball down in the post because Rodman would front the post tremendously. Now Scottie Pippen to me would be a little better for this match up because of his speed and defensive quickness, plus he had great timing and hands, so his post defense was impeccable

To answer your question though, I don't think they would shut him down, it's hard to do that to great players, even on bad nights they could score 30, i'll say this in defense of Rodman and Pippen, they would give LeBron a very hard time, making him struggle plently. Let's say LeBron did score 30 against them on two different nights, LeBron's stat line would consist of low shooting percentage, many free throws attempts, and many field goal attempts, lots of perimeter shots (3's), I would be shocked to see LeBron take less than 20 shots, and shot 60 percent from the field like he has this past season.

Sorry this was a little long, but I hope it helps.

Source(s): Sports writer for my college, NBA Blogger http://www.javisnbablog.com/

Ron Artest is one of the players who can guard Lebron the best; and Artest and Rodman have similar styles. Overall though, Rodman is a better defender and would be able to guard Lebron much better. When Rodman was on the Bulls, he would end up being the player that guarded Shaq because 7-foot centers like Luc Longley and Bill Wennington could not guard Shaq effectively and Roman was able to so even though Shaq was taller and had like 100lbs on Rodman.

And I think Pippen could do a great job guarding Lebron as well. But it would be hard to guard Lebron on the perimeter due to rule changes that favor the offense, especially offensive perimeter players. It's harder to guard a perimeter player now since you can not use your hands or forearm to stop the offensive player from moving.

• ?

If it was 1 & 1 in their prime, Rodman would easily beat Lebron hands down! We are talking about a ex-Bad Boy & ex-Bulls who help win a record of (72-10) & 3 peat's. The freak has 5 rings,2 Defensive Player of the Year, & 7 Rounding Championship. If Rodman see his opponent flop, he will destroy you!

Yes. Rodman shut down Shaq who was 60 pounds heavier and 5 inches taller than him. Rodman will shut down LeBron easily.

I mean Rodman was way better defender than Boris Diaw and Diaw shut down LeBron. LOL

• ?

No way, not a chance.

Lebron is to big, to strong, to quick, and to good.

Rodman was better on bigger, less versatile players. He was not guarding the quick wing players.

Lebron is to good off of the bounce for Rodman and to big and strong for Pippen!

Yes, LeBron struggles against physical-play, Rodman was the personification of physical D.

Add to that, the athleticism, and timing Rodman had, LeBron would average around 10ppg if he played Rodman.

Yes, remember when LeBron couldn't even drive against Boris Diaw in the finals? ROFL. How much more Dennis Rodman. He'll ride James all game long taking him out of his game. LeBron don't want bruises and physicality.

Hope this helps.

He can't shut down LeBron but I'm pretty sure he or Pippen can contain LeBron to under 20 points.

Look at Luol Deng and Shawn Marion they contained LBJ to his lowest performance ever in playoffs and NBA Finals, how much more if better defenders in Rodman or Pippen would guard him.

G0t it? Go0d!!!!

i don't know about "shut down", im not sure the best defender ever could completely shut down LBJ, but i do think Rodman could certainly do a good job of slowing him down.

• here's an unbiased answer....I don't know

I hate when people start talking crap.I think he would have his moments where he was successful but I wont tell you he would shut him down.It's Lebron freaking james and saying well he shut down Shaq.......NO HE DIDN'T Getting a few rebounds over shaq in a game isn't shutting him down also Lebron is a lot faster then Shaq and Lebron is a good 3 point shooter.