Thermostat and a/c stopped working?

My a/c was running fine this morning and out of no where my a/c stopped working and my thermostat doesn't turn on. The thermostat is NOT battery operated. Please help me trouble shoot. I've already turned the breakers on and off, still nothing happens and it's burning hot outside. HELP!!!!!

Favorite Answer

Sounds like its lost control voltage. You gotta get into the air handler and figure out why the 24v transformer is not running..... OR the 3A fuse on the control board may have failed, but there's got tot be a reason.....

If this is a heat pump, the reversing valve most times must be energized to run in cool mode. If for any reason that coil fails, it will reverse the voltage and pop that transformer quick....

Regardless of whether or not its a heat pump system, what you really need is a qualified tech out there.

Source(s): HVAC tech

Sounds like a bad transformer, usually 120 volts to 24 volts. In a pinch you can get a telephone one from the hardware store. Have you ever worked with electrical and do you have a multimeter?

Source(s): HVACR 13yrs