Chuck asked in SportsFootball (American) · 6 years ago

Start T.Y. Hilton or Heyward-Bey?

Favorite Answer

Are you talking about fantasy leagues or which the Colts should do? People have argued this preseason that T.Y. Hilton should be the starting wide receiver over Heyward-Bey. Throughout the preseason, Hilton has looked more impressive than Heyward-Bey. So if you are looking for stats for your fantasy league then go with T.Y. Hilton.

However, if you are wondering why the Colts are then placing Heyward-Bey as the #2 receiver instead of T.Y. Hilton, they do have good reason. Heyward-Bey is taller and can be more physical than Hilton. This allows him to be a better down-field blocker when for example the Colts run a rushing play or use one of the tight ends to pass to. Heyward-Bey is better suited to block down-field to create a touchdown play from a short pass or rush. Hilton can play the outside, but due to his size he is better suited to play a slot receiver.

Heyward-Bey also has some other characteristics that also make him very valuable. He is very fast. Heyward-Bey is likely the fastest Colts receiver I've ever seen. If he gets in the open there will be no stopping him going into the end zone because I guarantee that no player is going to catch up to him. I saw him kick in the after-burners in an OTA practice and he would have made Pierre Garcon eat his dust.

The big thing that people worried about with Heyward-Bey was his ability to make completions. Coming into the Colts his hands weren't all that great. The first few days of training camp didn't look too hot. But if you watched Heyward-Bey in the preseason, I think it is easy to tell that pulling in passes likely won't be a problem this year. He looked really good with his hands. He said he was going to put in a lot of extra work. And it does look like he's put in a lot of extra work with Reggie and Luck.

In my opinion, Heyward-Bey has the ability to be not just a good receiver, but one of the all-time greats. He reminds me a lot of Randy Moss. He's fast, tall, physical, and can jump. If he progresses like he has, he will be called one of the very best receivers in the league. I think DHB will majorly turn his career around this year. But Hilton will likely be the one with the best stats of the two.