Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 7 years ago

Is there a way to convert my fuel oil furnace to run on LP (Liquid Propane) Gas?

It's a Miller model CMF80-po serial # CMF9180-01459. Says on the inside it can be converted? Also says it uses # 1 or 2 oil?

Favorite Answer

Can't say I've ever seen a furnace convert from oil to LP or NG...but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

To convert appliances, you MUST get conversion kits from the original manufacturer. One of the most important things in there is the new rating plate which is their proof that the appliance is "certified" for use with that fuel. If you "Mcgyver" the appliance and try and convert it by just changing parts etc, you will void the manufacturer's warranty. Also, the manufacturer will take no responsibility if the appliance hurts anyone or property is damaged because you have "altered" the appliance. Insurance companies will deny claims for the same reason.

On the appliance's rating plate you will find the model and serial number along with the manufacturer's contact information. If they won't sell you a conversion kit directly, they should be able to put you in touch with a dealer in your area.

Once you have the factory conversion kit installed by a qualified technician you are good to go!

Source(s): 25 years experience in the propane business and a licenced gas fitter

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): convert fuel oil furnace run lp liquid propane gas: https://shortly.im/17tP7

L.P. is cheaper than fuel oil? Wow! L.P. is through the roof. I'm on the left coast and we don't use fuel oil so I can't tell you if it's just a matter of changing a orifice. Probably not. But propane? That means a tank outside and a coated steel line buried at least 12" underground and piped under the house. A permit and a inspection. 6 hours labor @ $80 plus materials and permits.Say $700.00. Is fuel oil really that expensive?And 6 hours is being generous.As is $80 an hour.In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada of California a 100 gal tank of LP costs around $400.00. If the weather is really cold,say in the 30's,that tank is empty in a month.Most people not on natural gas heat with wood or supplement with wood or pellets.

Source(s): plumber for 38 years and received my first S.S. check today. So I'm in a pretty good mood.

Oil To Propane Conversion

• richo

Miller Oil Furnace

http://www.nordyne.com/Literature/708062b.pdf

According to the manual for the furnace, that you are talking about, it can be converted with a field kit, from oil to gas or vice verse. Give your local gas company a call.

• Tony

If it says it can then why do you ask us? It can!

You can put a diesel engine in it if you wanted to, and had the money and knowhow. You could even put a jet engine in it.

I hope you're not asking HOW to. That involves a lot of engineering and rebuilding.

For starters, you'd have to change the burner. THAT's the BIGGEST thing you'll have to do to change it to LP.

Hope this helps.

'av'a g'day mate.

'')