Is toyota more rugged than honda?

People do say toyota is more reliable and stronger

Favorite Answer

Any car can be reliable so long as you take great care of it.

Source(s): I've owned both Toyota and Honda and they've both been great cars. I also owned a car that's been dubbed to have "poor reliability" (Jeep Liberty) and that car has treated me wonderfully and it's still on the road making the latest owner happy.
  • C7S

I don't think one is more reliable than the other. I'd say they are the same.

Consumer Reports Magazine and J.D. Power & Associates and other car magazines always name one of these two brands as the most reliable cars in the world almost every year. Sometimes Subaru or Mazda nab the top spot but most of the time it's Honda or Toyota. Some magazines claim that the Honda Accord is titled the most reliable car in the world.

My parents and uncle's and aunts only bought and drove Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus over the years. We put near 200,000 miles on each of them before selling them or trading them in for newer cars. All of them were great to us. My mother's current 08 Toyota Rav4 has 80,000 miles on it. It has only had one problem-bad steering rack & pinion. Other than that it has been problem free. We also have a 2000 Honda Accord with 155,000 miles on it. The only problem it has given us was a bad radiator hose that was just recently replaced at 150,000 miles. It has been problem free for the past decade we had it. I bought a 1996 Mazda Protege as my first car for $1900 with 121,000 miles. 8 years and many miles later, I sold it for $1350. The only problem it gave me was a bad A/C compressor and a few burnt out light bulbs.

Ruggedness is a toss-up, but Toyota reliability is a lot better than Honda. Ruggedness and reliability are two different things as those of us who owned the very rugged but very unreliable older Volvos learned.

Honda has allowed its customers to suffer through relatively minor common failures of fuel pump relays and ignition switches for more than a decade (why?) but in the 2000s Honda went off the deep end with at least 6 years of extremely high failure rates on their automatic transmissions, a couple years of cracking Civic engine blocks, and a couple years of rear brakes that would wear out inbetween oil changes.

Honda seems to have straightened up in the last 4-5 model years, but they have not earned my trust yet.

EDIT - I strongly disagree with the premise that any car is reliable if properly maintained. It is true all cars are unreliable if not maintained, but check out the comments about the 2000 Kia Carnival, especially with the 2.5L V6. Two dead engines in 40K miles, as reported by multiple customers, is not going to be fixed by routine maintenance. The last two new cars I have had were a 1984 Dodge 600 and a 2002 Prius. The Dodge needed almost constant repair in the 6 years we had it (the lighting wire that shorted inside the passenger door and killled the brake lights drove me nuts!); the Prius has only needed one 12 V battery, shocks and struts in 11 years. Same level of maintenance.

• jldude

Is a Civic more rugged than a Corolla? No. Is a Tundra more rugged than a POS Ridgeline? Probably lol. And a big V8 F150 will put them all to shame ha. They're virtually the same in terms of reliability, Toyota just happens to build a larger variety of models. People will say anything...can't always believe just anyone.

I have owned NUMEROUS Toyotas, and have put well over 100K miles on all of them. Never had a complaint, except for the cost of a little plastic spray nozzle on the windshield washer. ($17. dam dollars)

I also have a Honda Odyssey van that's a piece of junk. I wont EVER buy or even consider another Honda product.

P.S. good answer from FlagMichael. You are correct.

• JetDoc

For the average passenger automobile, I'd say they are about equal, but the Honda lineup is a bit short on 4 wheel drive or utility vehicles, so if you're looking for a pickup truck or something to go off-road, then Toyota offers more choice.

• Fred

Either is fine. I've owned both. Both rule. :)