Lady asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 7 years ago

Can our body yield antibodies without an antigen?

And why? Please support your answer. I re€ally need your help. Thanks.

Update:

Please refer your answer in this site.

www.historyofvaccines.org

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

As an adult, no. As a newborn, yes.

Antibodies in newborns cross the placenta from mom to baby, thus allowing the infant to have antibodies without having seen an antigen. However, this immunity is short lived, and will be gone in a couple months

Otherwise, an infant's immune system is a blank slate and as the infant sees more and more antigens through living, it acquires the immune B cells, or plasma cells, that make antibodies.

Blood group antibodies are thought to be acquired through minor infections, as the antigens on blood seem to be cross reacting antigens from different microbes. So blood group antibodies re acquired through an antigen interaction with the immune system.

• 7 years ago

Well, first of all, I'm not an expert about this issue, but I can answer. Yes, our body can yield antibodies without an antigen, because we have those mechanisms to protect ourselves. For example when we are doing sunbathing we are "getting" this black colour - it's called melanin (I'm sure you've heard about it) - on purpose to be protected from sunburning. That's all I can tell you and I know.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.