VERY uncommon names for a book character?

I'm writing a book and there is a character who I don't know the name of yet. He is an old man, who is very smart. I need a really uncommon name for him because I don't like going mainstream. I don't think peoples personalities matter in choosing a name because when you name a child you usually don't know what there personality is like, so I hope this is enough to go by. I like the name Hutch in the Mortal Instruments series, but I don't want to use that name since they did, but that gives you some more guide line. Thank you so much for helping me, and it's very very appreciated <3

Favorite Answer

I Would Like To Disagree With What You Say About Names Not Because In Real Life It Doesn't Really Matter But In Novels You Get To Play With Something That Feels Right. Depending On The Sound The Feel And Even What IT Actually Stands For.

Gideon

Clarence

Francis

Norman

Howard

Cliff

Clyde

Chaz

Milton

Edgar

Oscar

Maurice

Felipe

Virgil

Everett

Dick

Morris

Otis

Horace

Benny

Loyd

Curtis

Troy

Emmanuel

• Lynn

Define "old." Pick a year the character was born and then google "top 100 baby boy names" for that year. They aren't common, simply because no one names their babies after great-grandfathers and rarely after grandfathers. For instance, some names from 2-3 generations ago to me include Earl, Seymour, Rupert, Kip, and Rip. Who'd want to stick those names on babies now? lol

As for Hutch? I doubt Hutch is a first name. (I could be wrong, never read the book), but for my generation that sounds like a shortened last name--Hutchinson. Last name nicknames work well for guys--Smitty, Jonsey, Ski (I swear half the Polis- American guys get stuck with that nickname lol), Mick (Irish), Schultzy, (German), etc.

Hendrix, Coen, Steele, Siltanen, Fenix, Felix, Payson, Jaime, Munro, Shack, Wells, Benton

Sweet! I love books!

Here are some names that I like:

Arkady

Afanasy

Bogdan

Vyacheslav

Branch or Ranch

Kaylee Locks

Sorry, they are kinda weird. Im just into russian names and its weird cause Im not even russian

• Ds

Halgory