Should I buy a Motorola Xoom tablet?

I'm in the market for a tablet. I have $200 to spend, tops, so iPads are out of the question. (I could wait and save up some more, but I kind of need something right now). I've looked at some 7-inchers, have even asked a question about possibilities here, but the thing is, I've decided I really want something larger. I'm looking for something I can use for web browsing, GPS, entertainment purposes (mostly books) and that I can do a little work on (word processing and PDFs), and I really don't think a 7-incher will cut it. I have a chance to get a couple of mint condition Motorola Xoom's within my price range. I know those have been updated to Android 4.1.2, and that even though there won't be an official build higher 4.2.2 will run on them in CM or other ROMs. I know they're only double core, although they have a gig of RAM. I've looked at some other resources and people say they're too big (I don't care, not going to put in my pocket, I'd rather have something that's not going to fall apart on me, and to me 1.5 lbs. isn't big) and they're laggy. However, I'm thinking in my usage the lag might not be that big an issue, because I do not game in any shape, form or fashion and have no intention of starting, so there's not going to be any super-duper 3D stuff being run. I don't care one iota about HD movies, either, not into streaming those (I don't watch a lot of movies, don't even have a Blu-Ray player let alone a Netflix membership or anything). I'm more interested in music although I may toss a few video things I've created on there. And I'm not going to put 300 apps on the thing, most of mine are probably going to be boring stuff like Kindle, various news organizations, weather, a music player, PDF viewer, etc. This is basically going to be an old fart's tablet. So, given what I've said, should I spend $150 or so (one possibility even includes an Otterbox) on a mint Xoom? For everyone I've seen online griping about them, there's another person who's using it about like I would who says theirs is still going strong. The only comparable thing in my price range (at least used) would be the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, but when I weigh it against the Xoom the Xoom always comes out ahead. Would appreciate any input from Xoom owners here. Thanks!

• Kevin
    Favorite Answer

So in short you only care for a 10.1" screen in the lowest price. I.e lower than 200 bucks.

IMO the Galaxy tab 2 would be the better option as for its reliability and would stay with you for a longer time compared to Xoom.

Comments on Galaxy tab 2 from an actual user of many popular tablets, including comparison to motorola Xoom:

http://www.amazon.com/review/RHZKD6J2W0OMD/ref=cm_...

If your budget is low, you can try getting the Used Galaxy tab 2 10.1 (after opening link, see right side under the picture of Galaxy tab 2 for prices of used ones)

The Xoom would do a fine job also, reviews from users are also great. So you cant go wrong getting either of the tablets.

En general estoy bastante desorientada pero me gusta hacer deportes, buscado en los sitios web he encontrado un GPS especial para mí, la verdad es que además del buen precio el reloj con GPS me ha impresionada por la multitud de cosas que lleva y además funciona perfecto, una excelente compra sin duda.