Kate asked in HealthWomen's Health · 7 years ago

Endometriosis at 19? Birth control?

Over the past 6 months to a year, I've been having a lot of odd menstrual symptoms.

-Cramps (We're talking 4 Advil + 2 Arthritis Strength Tylenol and a hot water bottle, and even then having trouble making it to school/work. I typically have a very high pain tolerance, so this is exceptionally odd.)

-Pain during bowel movements (while on period only)

-Inconsistent periods (early/late)

-Diarrhea/nausea during period

To top it all off, I'm only 19 years old. I'm a college student for whom these issues are really debilitating-- I have to overdose on pain killers some days just to get out of bed and get to class, and even then I just sit there unable to focus due to the pain. I've talked to many of my friends about this, and spent my fair share of time on the internet researching, and the general consensus is that birth control would be a great solution (or at least a solid start) to dealing with these issues.

However, I brought it up to my mother recently and she said she was concerned that I may have endometriosis since my aunt/her sister had the same issues and was diagnosed as such. She had major problems with infertility down the road, and I think that's my mother's main concern. She thinks starting birth control is what I need to o.

For starters, I don't want to have kids anyways. Infertility is not at all a concern for me. And yes, I know that 19 year olds aren't famous for great life decisions, but I'm 100% sure. My concern is that these absolutely horrendous symptoms stop interfering with my life! I'd rather be healthy and have to adopt down the road.

So here's the real question--

I was planning on getting birth control pills through my university's health center. Since that's really the first step in endo treatment anyways, should I just stick with that plan and see if it helps? Or should I go in to a private practice GYN now rather than starting with the little guys?

Thank you so much for reading/answering. Any suggestions you have would be appreciated!

*Please don't waste your time with uneducated "see your doctor" comments. I obviously plan to do so, and I really want advice from people with experience.

2 Answers

  • Millie
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    I'm just saying what I would do. I would start with a good Gynecologist, because besides going on BC, I would like to know if I have endometriosis.

    Example: I got endometriosis at about 28. I never had any symptoms, pain.....absolutely nothing.

    As you know everyone of us is totally different and not possible to make comparisons.

    It's extremely important to be diagnosed, because usually you have a large cyst, which needs looking after. Personally, I doubt you have Endo.

  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

    See a GYN. Endometriosis (which even infants can have, so age is not a determinant) is only one of a very long list of possible culprits. You need to get to the root of the problem and not waste time self-medicating for something that you most likely do not even have. There is relief for what you have been through. It really is something that you should have taken care of as soon as it started to become uncomfortable. If it turns out to be endometriosis, that needs to be treated, too. As you probably know, people die from it all the time. It really depends on where the rogue endometrial tissue is located. I knew a woman who had some in her sinus cavities and bled every month from her nose (until surgically removed). Tissue in the brain or many other spots in the body can have very serious results, and a very wide range of symptomatology including almost any imaginable symptom.

    But now you have a second chance. Don't try diagnosing yourself - having yourself as a doctor is even stupider than having yourself as a lawyer. Even close family can miss symptoms that a doctor can see as clear as day - we get used to people around us and changes are gradual, so we often miss symptoms that look like textbook pictures to impartial, third parties.

    Good luck (even though luck has little to do with it). You will be feeling better very soon if you let qualified people help you. That's what they are there for, after all.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.