Jake asked in Cars & TransportationRail · 6 years ago

BNSF hiring event/Interview?

Hello all,

I have been applying with BNSF for a few months now and I have finally been invited to a conductor trainee hiring event in Denver for a position in casper/greybull Wyoming. I have a few questions. I am 18 years of age, I am wondering if I even have a chance at getting hired and it will be my first time at a RR hiring event, and I am very serious about the position and working for the railroad one day, it is a dream of mine. My grandfather was an engineer for SOO LINE and my father is serving his 20th year at BNSF as a Superintendant at a major diesel shop. My uncle has also worked for BNSF as a conductor. My father has contacted the HR lady who is set to interview me and let her know my name and told her I was very interested in working for BNSF. As far as it goes it is left up to me to provide a great interview. Can anyone tell me what types of questions to expect and how to handle them? I am really interested in seeing what the railroad exactly wants from me. I know to stress safety and to not bring up the fact that I like trains a lot, but rather let them know I want to help the company out as much as possible. Do I bring a copy of my resume? and if so, am I supposed to carry around whatever files I have with me all day? I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but based on my performance in high school I was allowed to take college courses through the college in my town, i only took about 5 classes. Is it necessary to bring my transcript for that? Thank you for all of the answers, anything will help and I would greatly appreciate any advice! thank you all, Michael S.

Favorite Answer

If you've been invited to the event, you are half way there, already. They will probably ask you if any family members worked for the railroad, and you can tell them who, but don't have to make a long story about it. They will think that if they are close family members that you know something of the lifestyle, and that is a leg up. They are going to want to know about your interest in safety, and leave no doubt whatever that you are very interested in learning safe work habits, and have no intentions of working any other way than safely. They may ask you if you think all accidents are preventable. You will answer yes, even if it seems absurd. You'll let them know you don't mind working all hours and in any weather, and you can tell them you know good and well it never rains on the railroad! (meaning the weather won't keep you from coming to work.) You could bring your resume, but if you've already filled out the application they should already have it. Anything to your credit that you did not include in the application, you might bring evidence of. Or if you have not filled one out, you will, and that info will help you fill it out correctly and completely. They won't expect an 18 year old to have a long list of accomplishments yet, but showing them your education to date is good. You only need a high school diploma or GED but post high school courses however few or many is good to mention. Simply say as you do here, you did college level courses in High School. The fact you graduated and got your diploma is adequate and you don't need the transcript. Oh, and you got the right idea, don't tell them you like trains, even if you do. Well, you have to want the job. Maybe you could say that since your family members did it and enjoyed it, and had good careers with it, you want to go that way too.

Bnsf Hiring

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

BNSF hiring event/Interview?

Hello all,

I have been applying with BNSF for a few months now and I have finally been invited to a conductor trainee hiring event in Denver for a position in casper/greybull Wyoming. I have a few questions. I am 18 years of age, I am wondering if I even have a chance at getting...

Source(s): bnsf hiring event interview: https://tr.im/gwY7p