Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetProgramming & Design · 7 years ago

What's the best way to connect a FireWire-based audio interface to my laptop with no FireWire ports?

I have a Focusrite audio interface that only connects to computers through Firewire cables, except my Dell Latitude laptop doesn't have any Firewire ports. I have a couple of questions about how I can connect the interface to my computer.

I've looked on Newegg and Amazon and have found a few USB to Firewire adapters, but they all have bad reviews and often claim either they don't work at all or they run into power issues. Are there any reliable adapters? I've also looked into PCI Express cards with Firewire ports after researching this problem, since I have an EC slot in my laptop (which I assumed was for PCI-E cards, but correct me if I'm wrong). Will a PCI-E card fit into my laptop? In so, do I need a PCI-E card with both USB and Firewire ports, or will the Firewire ports essentially be hardwired into my computer once I insert the card?

Finally, I can connect another "interface" (it's really a guitar effects processor that also acts as an interface) to my laptop through USB, but there's a lot of latency (~.5 seconds probably) when I play my guitar through that interface into my laptop. I've read that it may just be due to the nature of USB's method of transferring data, but I was wondering if I bought a Firewire to USB adapter, would there still theoretically be latency? (I'm not 100% certain that the latency is solely because of the USB connection).

Favorite Answer

PCI-E isn't a laptop interface. You need an EC (ExpressCard) card firewire interface such as the following:

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-ExpressCard-Fir...

It has pretty good reviews.

Source(s): Amazon.com

I'd suggest a PCMCIA card - it's what I use for a FireWire connection to my external hard drive (back up) and it is supposed to be faster than a USB 2.0 connection.

Source(s): Dell Latitude D630 user - bought the adapter off eBay - the external hard drive case came with a choice of USB or FireWire - both cables & both ports.