Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar Audio · 7 years ago

Do I need a new radio to install 8" Pioneer Subs?

I have a 2013 Nissan Frontier SV King Cab, and I just got an 8" Pioneer subwoofer, and I'm not sure if I'll need another radio.

Favorite Answer

You need an amplifier to power the Pioneer subwoofer as well as an amplifier wiring kit to hook the battery to your amplifier.

A lot of newer amplifiers (including Pioneer) have the ability to accept low level or high level input by simply flipping a switch on the amplifier. Some of them even have a sensor that reads the line voltage from the input and will turn the amplifier on and off without having to use a remote wire. It shuts off automatically after a certain time frame, too, so it won't drain your battery when the truck is off.

I'm not recommending this amplifier because I don't know which Pioneer subwoofer you have or how much power it can handle, but this is an amplifier with the features I mentioned above.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2061DX2501/Kicker-11D...

there's almost always a way to make the stock radio work.

Generally the only hang up is getting signal from the radio to the amp. In most cases a simple line output converter is used by connecting to the existing speaker wires to get rca inputs for your amp.

That's what I'm doing in my car.

Besides signal - amp/sub installation is pretty universal.

• Aero D

Nope. You can use a line out converter, if your amp has high level inputs, you can use that for signal..