How can I stream ESPN?

We have a smart TV and currently stream Netflix and Hulu. In addition, we have a Wii. We have contemplated adding a Roku to the set, but are unsure if it's even necessary (you can add your thoughts on this if you are knowledgeable).

In the meantime, we have a large cable bill! No one really watches cable anymore... with one exception. My husband can't and won't give up his ESPN. Can someone give me some tips on streaming ESPN to the TV? Watching it on an iPad or laptop isn't an acceptable option for him and I am not tech-savvy enough to figure it out on my own.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Bill C
    Favorite Answer

I'm sorry to tell you this, but at the present time there is no way to stream ESPN [legally] without first having a subscription via CableCo (or SatelliteCo).

The good news is ESPN (and several other "cable" channels) are investigating the option of selling their services directly to end users. But, there are very large contracts at stake to keep ESPN and all the rest "exclusive" to CableCo. Maybe in several more years, but I don't think it will be soon. ESPN & CNN are the two biggest reasons more people do not cut the cable.

I use a Roku 3 and I pay for Netflix & Amazon Prime. I do not pay for Hulu.

I kind of like the Roku, as there are a ton of channels not available on Smart TVs. I'll admit a lot of them are crap, and how many channels do you need to show the same B-Rate 1950's Horror Movies? But, there are shows that I've never seen any where else. It all depends on your tastes, but Roku has a wide spectrum of things to choose from. The best thing about Roku is an app called PlayOn.

• ?

Netflix Espn

RE:

How can I stream ESPN?

In the meantime, we have a large cable bill! No one...

You can pay for ESPN online... and then can stream from there website. But thats about it. you can't use it like you can with Netflix or Hulu because ESPN is LIVE TV. NetFlix and Hulu or old shows.

Most people don't realise but with smart TV's you can now install a thing called a VPN which will allow you to watch all British, American & other TV live & catchup (BBC, ITV, 4OD, HULU, NBC etc.)on all smart TV's located anywhere in the world.

Easy enough to install on the menu system.

+1 for not available yet.

However, if you talk to your husband about what he enjoys about ESPN, you may be able to find something to replace it. If he wants the games, there are ways to get the games. If he wants the commentary, there are other commentators out there.

If he just wants ESPN because he grew up with it and feels naked without it - basically just dumb habit / reflex - you're out of luck unless he's smart enough to be able to recognize and change habits. :-)

while reading a written book, you're stimulating your brain. You better your literacy and reading skills therefore you along the way, are more literate. Even with today's modern tools, you need to be in a position to read still.

While watching t.v. can be good fun, it isn't doing anything to the human brain.

I watch or read everything...I love finding out new stuff.

ESPN on an apple device is free , iphone , ipod, ipad