Would you consider a confederate flag racist?

I live in El dorado county, a lot of people here (near sacramento) have confederate flags on their trucks or cars. I'm not racist or I don't think I am. I have black,muslim, and asian friends. I myself have Miwak in my bloodline...so what do you think? Could this be considered "racist" do I have a right to put a 5 inch confederate flag decal on my truck?

• .x
    Favorite Answer

Yes, I think it is. It's the symbol of a group of people who fought for the 'right' to keep millions of their fellow human beings legally subhuman so that they could force them to work, rape them, mutilate them and murder them without any repercussions. I have no idea how any sane human being can look past that and pretend it's okay to use that symbol as a way to show 'regional pride'. There are plenty of other ways to do it without simultaneously appearing to celebrate something that vile.

Legally you definitely have the right to put the flag on your truck, but most people including me would assume that you're a racist of some sort and some people might want to get into it with you. Also you live near Sacramento, California? California was basically part of the North not the Confederacy so it seems kind of weird to begin with?

I am a liberal Democrat, I support the President, I always vote Democratic and to me, the Stars and Bars is a flag of history of a terrible war that occurred 150 years ago and represents political view rather than a racist view. I have no problems with the Confederate Flag just as I have no problems with a tank called a Lee or a Stuart, a military post named Fort Bragg, Fort Gordon or Fort Hood, all named for Confederate generals. Why no complaints about these? If the flag is treason are not these brave soldiers traitors? No, they aren't and neither is the Confederate Flag - it's history.

I live in a southern state(Ms). I have friends of all races and I would like to comment on the confederate flag issue. All my friends and I could care less if they remove the confederate flag or not. All of us get up every morning and go to work and struggle to pay taxes, bills and feed our families. We could care less about what flag flies over our state other than the American flag. Even if it actually did offend us we couldn't afford to take off work to go stand somewhere and protest it. America needs to go to work and get along! Joe

I'm from the North, but I have many relatives in the South. Where they live, it is a symbol of cultural pride (unless you're not a white person). Where I'm from, it is a symbol of racism.

It's all about the culture you're from. Different cultures see things differently. So, if you're from an area where a lot of people sport confederate flags, you'll be perfectly fine and accepted if you do so as well. However, if you go to another place (primarily in the Northern states), people won't like it.

Put whatever you want on your truck it is your civil right. I too have a civil right to think flying a confederate flag shows that the person is a racist.

It's not a question of whether the flag itself is racist, it's a question of why you want it on your truck. Anybody in your family fight for the Confederacy, or do you just think it looks cool? Only you know what is in your heart, and you're the one who has to shave that face. If you're alright with the person who looks back from the mirror, do what you wanna do.

I don't consider the flag racist.

I consider who has the flag a racist.

How would you feel if your country enslaved your ancestors then some low life wants to hold that flag up?

The south was for slavery. Not "states rights."

You do have the right to do that. You will just be a racist lowlife idiot to most people.

For the most part, yes. The confederate flag symbolizes the South’s refusal to let the black man go free.

• bird

it is the flag of a terrorist nation, it is beyond racist

it is also treasonous if you believe in such things

Even if it is racist, you always have the right to speak your mind.

Personally, I believe it is racist. It represents the Confederacy which wanted to keep slavery, they did not like blacks, period. It's also treasonous