Am I using the following vocabulary words correctly in each sentence?

I have the definitions for my vocabulary words, but I want to make sure that the sentences make sense.

1) Aegis - The tournament was held under the aegis of the city council.

2) Apprise- He didn't even bother to apprise us of the party he was throwing.

3) Lexicon- Webster created the first lexicon.

4) Melee- The crowd of teenagers gathered around to watch the melee in the middle of the school walkway.

5) Minuscule- There was a minuscule amount of evidence to convict the suspect.

6) Vassal- He called upon his vassal to clean up the mess.

7) Purview- She was expelled from school because she was caught smoking within the purview of the school.

8) Solecism- A common solecism is people using "who" instead of "whom".

9) Microcosm- With its roles, assignments, and ability to work together, ant farms are microcosms of society.

10) Paternalism- The mayor's paternalism made the people of the city feel safe and controlled.

11) Polarized- The jury was polarized with half thinking the woman was guilty, and half thinking she was innocent.

-----Are these examples/sentences grammatically correct? If not, how can I fix them? Thanks in advance :)

Favorite Answer

Great job! All of your sentences are grammatically correct. My only reservation is with regard to sentence 4). Ideally, each sentence should 'indicate' the meaning of the vocabulary word; this is the only one that doesn't. (In your sentence, the 'melee' could be a puppet show, a demonstration, performance art, or almost anything.)

• ?

Purview In A Sentence

challenging matter. look over google and yahoo. just that will help!