cybatara asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 7 years ago

Teen trying to add muscle?

I am going to be a Sophomore in High School and towards the end of last year I began lifting. I am 5tt and 11.5 inches tall and am currently 154lbs. In the beginning of last school year I was 140lbs, same height. I have been using scoobysworkshop.com as a source but I was wondering If there was any other program or SPECIFIC exercises that are good and safe for someone my age to do. My Goal is to obviously BULK up. I eat a lot of good healthy foods and would say my nutrition surpasses the vast majority Teens. I'm looking for advice for a hard gainer to add on muscle, the specific exercises that come with it etc: Thanks!!

• ?
    Favorite Answer

14 pounds in a year is respectable, especially if you added that eating clean. Good job thus far.

The thing to keep in mind is that SIZE is a byproduct of STRENGTH, not the other way around. I am guessing that you are between 15 and 16, so there is no real reason to not do the big barbell compound lifts. By that I mean squats, deadlifts, and presses. The Holy Trinity of Meatheads everywhere.

As far as an actual program, that depends on where you are in your training at the moment. If you have little to no experience with the barbell movements, Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is the gold standard for beginners. Madcow or Strong Lift 5x5 programs are also very effective in building strength and therefore size. 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler is another option, but more suited to a slightly more advanced lifter. I feel obligated to mention it because it has worked like a charm for me.

This article has a good overview of the programs I listed, as well as more advanced methods for later in your training career.

http://www.sweatpit.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=t...

You will notice that every program mentioned focuses on squats, deadlifts and presses. There is a reason for that: they work. Even when you get more time under the barbell, you should always do some kind of squat, some kind of deadlift, and some kind of press. They are staples in all of the big boys training routines.

As far as nutrition, I am about the last person on the planet qualified to give advice. I will say that quality proteins (eggs, fish, chicken, lean beef, beans), whole grains, plenty of vegetables (oatmeal, quinoa, brown rice) and good fats (grass fed butter, extra virgin olive and coconut oil, avocados) are all vital.

You didn't ask about supplements, which is admirable. However, creatine a multivitamin, fish oil pills and a protein powder are all useful for building strength. Strength, as I mentioned earlier, is central to all training.

To quote Mark Rippetoe, "It doesn't take an already-strong person more than three or four weeks to get back into very good condition if he has somehow lost it. But it takes a distance runner a couple of years to get strong if he's never been strong before."

Best of luck

1

Source(s): Fast Track Muscle Building - http://BuildMuscle.oruty.com/?AVNn

When it comes to exercises, you are going to want to hit the weights as heavy as possible without straining too much. The more muscle you pack on, the more solid muscle weight you will have.

Also, it is always a great idea to add protein to your diet if you are trying to gain muscle. Talk to your doctor and see if he or she recommends a good weight gainer shake that is safe for you. Good luck!