Can You Tell Me Is Life Insurance Worth It?

I often see adverts on the TV and in the papers trying to get me to buy life insurance. They quote massive payouts, but I am always skeptical of such claims. I have read the small print, but it numbs my brain, so I thought, why not ask the intelligent people on here? Now I am not wanting the answer specific to... show more I often see adverts on the TV and in the papers trying to get me to buy life insurance. They quote massive payouts, but I am always skeptical of such claims. I have read the small print, but it numbs my brain, so I thought, why not ask the intelligent people on here?

Now I am not wanting the answer specific to me, I was just wondering if life insurance is useful for everyone, or just certain classes of the population. For instance, I don’t really see it being much use to someone who is unmarried, with no children, and is 55 years old, but I may be wrong.