Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 6 years ago

How is belief in an invisible, unmeasurable and inactive divinity any different from mental illness?

We lock people up when they claim to see and speak to Napoleon or Elvis.

Shouldn't we be doing the same to those who claim they speak with God?

Well, I can submit proof of my claims without problems using names and locations.

Where's you proof that I'm suffering mental illness? Feel free to write it down.

Different times, different beliefs. Aristotle lived in a time where divinity was believed to be in every tree, rock, grass and his belief was considered fact, not belief.

We know better know. We also know people prone to hallucination can be pushed to extreme action in a variety of manners.

Perhaps preventive prison and treatment would be better.

@Paul: That's better. Isn't that what religion does, however?

Antony, as opposed to people who can't seem to read straight english and answer a question or shut the fk up.

Dully noted, good friend.

@Fruit: What I mean is, religion creates illusion, illusion which some people's fragile state of mind bring them to believe and act upon it. This isn't just in Christianity, but in some other faiths.

Some people LITERALLY claim that they witness, or spoke to, different angels or divine figures. Isn't that EXACTLY what mental illness is about?

Full name, or just E. Fromme? I'll have to look it up. Some days I feel you have a point, depending on whom I meet.

Steve: Children are IGNORANT. They don't know any better, which is why they stop believing when they grow up.

Are you a child to still believe in Monsters and ghost and flying men with bird wings?

Irrelevant, Logic is measurable, whereas God is NOT. God is absolutely, and I do mean ABSOLUTELY intangible, whereas logic, being a principle, is finite and definable.

I don't usually agree with Nostradamus, but on this occasion, I believe he's right ;-)

I think it's appalling people didn't react to that.

Well Lawrence, you obviously didn't get the jist of what I was saying by NOT describing classical greek beliefs but talking about the mindset of humanity over 2000 years ago where divinity was present in every facet of people's lives, whereas today it is not.

But hey, happy I could help you loose your faith in humanity, feel free to join the "fateless" club of atheism now. Maybe it'll help you fill in that watery melon you got up there.

NDMA Canada, I'm happy you think so.

I'd invite you to argue the point with pretty much any psychologist or social specialist alive today, to see what he tells you about the idea that anyone who does not believe in a supreme being is insane.

Asfor delusion of grandeur, were that the case, I would be blabbing about how great am I compared to everyone else. Anyone who knows me in the least knows that isn't the case. People also seem to misinterpret genuine questioning with attempts to run others through mud. I can assure you it isn't.

Another interrogation I wrote above which would illustrate the point; if it is considered to be abnormal, as you indicate, to talk to the dead, then why isn't talking to the invisible, which many, if not most religious people of all faiths do or claim to do, considered the same? Neither will answer. If an answer is received, as most who do claim to communicate with God or Allah or any other on a daily basis do, that answer is to be profoundly questioned.

"Your asserting 75% of the population should be locked up because they believe differently than you is puffing yourself up."

AGAIN, I am not asserting ANYTHING. I asked a question. Questions are made to be debated an answered. Your repeated attempts to insinuate that “Your lacking the mental capacity to conceptually distinguish between the creator and the created humans that have expired does not make somebody else insane, it only demonstrates you have certain limitations in your thinking abilities” only make me question your own. I asked in what way believing in the invisible is different from believing in the non-existent. You answer I’m stupid. GRANTED, that why I asked the question. Your assessement of my mental capacity is utterly unnecessary, as it will leave me non-plussed regardless. I find it disturbing that defending the opposite idea of this question implies urinating over someone in order to discredit the idea.

I can also easily distinguish between God and dead people; neither will answer back.

Those who claim to receive said answers are to be regarded suspisciously. I'm sure you would agree with that.

• NDMA
    Favorite Answer

What is normal, or reasonable from the standpoint of sociology and mental illness is based on the consensus of society. The consensus of society (roughly 75%) believes in A god or supreme being. That means that those who do not believe deviate from the norm of society.

The consensus of society is that people cannot normally communicate with the dead. Therefore people who say they talk to Elvis or Napoleon deviate from the norm of society.

You, having a minority view, thinking that you are sane and 75% of the people are insane and should be locked up is clearly a form of psychosis. .Of course the test of whether somebody should be locked up or not is whether they present a danger to themselves or others.. If you dig deep enough there is not a person alive who doe not believe something that is not true. But most people despite having one or more untrue beliefs are not a danger to themselves or others.

NDMA Canada, I'm happy you think so.

14 minutes ago

Straw man! I did not say those who do not believe in God are insane - I said they deviated from the norm. Any credentialed psychologist or social specialist alive today will tell you the two are very different things.

Your asserting 75% of the population should be locked up because they believe differently than you is puffing yourself up! Deny of you like it an arrogant and delusional position - though not necessarily on that makes you a danger to yourself or others. - Should you try to act on your belief, it is probably you who would be locked up!

Your lacking the mental capacity to conceptually distinguish between the creator and the created humans that have expired does not make somebody else insane, it only demonstrates you have certain limitations in your thinking abilities. Your personal incredulity does not constitute anybody else's mental illness.

• Arnie

The mystery's of faith an GOD are beyond human comprehension.

Faith concerns questions which cannot be settled by evidence.

How can the universe create itself out of nothingness? Given the fact that the universe began to exist, it must have had a “cause” that originated it.Doesn't it make more sense to assume the existence of a Creation.

The question is tricky because it sneaks in the false assumption that God came from somewhere and then asks where that might be. The answer is that the question does not even make sense. It is like asking, “What does blue smell like?” Blue is not in the category of things that have a smell, so the question itself is flawed. In the same way, God is not in the category of things that are created or caused. God is uncaused and uncreated—He simply exists.

We know that from nothing, nothing comes. So, if there were ever a time when there was absolutely nothing in existence, then nothing would have ever come into existence. But things do exist. Therefore, since there could never have been absolutely nothing, something had to have always been in existence. That ever-existing being is what we call God. God is the uncaused Being that caused everything else to come into existence. God is the uncreated Creator who created the universe and everything in it.

You can't see the wind, but you know it is there because you can see what the wind is doing. You can know that the wind is there because you can feel it.God is like the wind, you can't see him.

~~~~~~~

I'm going to leave your responses aside and only try to answer your core question.

You say that God is invisible, unmeasurable, and inactive. Well, ignoring that your question already assumes that God is real, your argument is based on a point of view - yours. You postulate that we should lock people up who believe that God is visible, measurable, and active; and claim that it is due to mental illness.

So, it boils down to this: You, who believe that God is invisible, unmeasurable and inactive; and Theists who believe that God is visible, measurable, and active. You have basically taken a stance where any stance that disagrees with yours is disregarded out of hand. "This is what I think; and if you don't agree, you belong in a mental institution". Your conclusion needs work.

I understand that what I have written sidesteps your question; but given the logic of your argument, you, by your arguments very definition, would have said I belong in a mental institution.

So thus we have it. You are not actually asking a question here; you are seeking reinforcement of a stance you have taken (since any counter argument cannot be acknowledged by the logic of your statement).

"A mental illness is a medical condition that disrupts a person's thinking, feeling, mood, ability to relate to others and daily functioning. Just as diabetes is a disorder of the pancreas, mental illnesses are medical conditions that often result in a diminished capacity for coping with the ordinary demands of life."

Believing in religion is not indicative of the definition of illness.

Edit: Experincing hallucinations of angels and demons is indicative of metal illness, but most religious people don't exhibit these symptoms. People predisposed to mental illness exist within the religious population, but there is little reason to believe that their religion caused the mental illness.

• se tt

Well, I'd like to know since when do we lock up people with me tal illness, probably back in the 1970's. most people might go in for med checks but the days of locking up the mentally ill are over.

With as ill as this society has gotten. I feel mentally ill people are probably closer to the truth than " sane" people. Read E Fromme. Great thought provoking writer.

You open an interesting can of worms here. I know you think that having faith in God is delusional and I agree with you. But as you can see, telling the truth in no uncertain terms gets you spanked around here. You are leaving too many holes for them to wriggle through in some of your questions. Try to be a bit more concise so you have a good platform to argue from.

One of the best answers to your question is from Chapter and Verse above me. Unfortunately, he put it in the form of a question...lol.

Auntie Kookoo

So you would have locked up Aristotle for his "mental illness"? Is that right?

What a curious bunch you materialists are!

Edit: "Aristotle lived in a time where divinity was believed to be in every tree, rock, grass and his belief was considered fact, not belief."

The Classical Greek religion was nothing like that to begin with, and Aristotle didn't even believe in the Classical Greek religion...

Your ignorance is so painful...

Please, just do a Google search about Aristotle...

I think I'm just going to relinquish all faith in humanity today thanks to you.

Mental illness separates the victim from reality. Relationship with God opens our minds and hearts wide to reality, in a way that cannot be experienced without Him.

i'm not sure they should be locked up, but we should certainly hold leaders and responsible adults for crazy beliefs.

michelle bachmann states god told her to marry her current husband and no one bats an eyelash, as if that were the most normal thing in the world for a political leader to be saying.

tolerance of this level of crazy is the ultimate p.c.

Richard, I bet that you also believe in something that is invisible, unmeasurable, and "inactive". I bet you believe in logic. Logic cannot be seen; you can't stub your toe on it. Yet it exists everywhere, has always existed, and will always exist. It stays the same no matter where you might go. Some day you will realize that logic is the substance of God's thoughts.