Emmily B asked in PetsDogs · 6 years ago

Siberian husky vs alaskan malamute?

Just wanted to know a bit more info on the differences between a siberian husky and alaskan malamute as im planning in getting a husky or malanute in the future what is the best one to get I know theres a size difference as there are 2 malamutes that walk past my house

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The Alaskan Malamute is a large, solitary freight-pulling dog. The Siberian Husky is a medium-sized, pack-oriented sprint and endurance racing dog.

Despite their superficial similarities in appearance, these dogs are NOT that similar in temperament (and share little if any common ancestry to book - they are from different sides of the Bering Straight).

The Alaskan Malamute is going to be 80+ lbs, stoic, friendly to its people, and perhaps guarded with strangers. They need a firm hand, but can't take a hard correction. They have moderate exercise needs.

The Siberian Husky may be as small as 35lbs in the correct animal, friendly with other dogs, in general, not doing well being left alone, a lousy guard dog, and a RUNNER. Off-leash, this dog is one that will vanish over the horizon and not stop for 20-50+ MILES to notice that you are not there with them.

A Malamute can get by with long walks and hiking, a Siberian NEEDS to be RUN every single day, if you are in a warmer climate, that can be dangerous or even impossible.

Both shed like fiends and neither are "easy" to train - they are both independent-minded spitz breeds, even if very different in their other temperamental traits.

• 6 years ago

Malamutes are generally more suited to "house pet" living.

Siberian Huskies require a TON of running each and every day. If they are not given such, they are very prone to fence jumping and escaping.

Malamutes are more of a "draft" breed than a sled breed. With this, they require slightly less intense amounts of exercise.

• 6 years ago

husky are more workaholic dogs they are fun and loving but as for an alaskan malamutes they need more determined owner like dobermans if not well trained they can be a problem

Source(s): me !
  • 6 years ago

Husky are always cute but they have lots of hair but I will get husky

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.